Federal Hotel - Bangkok, Thailand

Gus Adams

For all who were in Bangkok from 65-66. How many remember the Federal Hotel? In Dec 1965 I was there and staying around the Hotel the days we didn't fly we spent all day at the pool. Some would jump from the top of the Hotel into the pool. Jumping from the side into the pool was referred to as TAC Ledge, then the PACAF guys came in and jumped from the end over the diving board (very close to hitting it) referred to it as PACAF Ledge. I know we were young and dumb. One day our Capt noticed that someone had placed a teakwood boat just outside of the pool. WE all got together and put it over the fence, to check out and make sure it floated. This went on for about an hour, when the Capt that owned the boat came in hunting it. He asked us if we knew where his boat was. Our Capt. told him yes, and that it would float very good until the 15th person got in then it sank. He said where is it. Capt said in the bottom of the pool and we all laughed. But was not funny to the other Capt. He got his boat out and hid it. If you was there during this time you probably had a good laugh also.

Just an old memory from the past.

Gus

Gus,

I remember the Federal Hotel very well. That's the place where I was introduced to Singah beer -- kicked my butt!!! I also remember the cute Thai girl who worked in the gift shop. Wish I could've spent more time there, but it was usually only when we broke or the loadmaster dicovered "evidence of rats onboard." Wink, wink.

Don R.

Clark AB, PI

1965/1967

I think we stayed at the Kings Hotel, on King Street in late 66. I may be wrong on the names.

In Nov 66 they moved us to the Belair Hotel, for whatever reason. I only stayed there a week then went back to Naha.

We were sent down to work on any of the Herks that came in.

We had 3 crews and worked 12 houre on and 24 hours off.

If anyone else was there at the time please let me know for I may have the rong hotel name.

I think the one we were at had an indoor pool with a glass or plastic roof.

I was there in 67 or 68. Wasn't there a Continental Hotel downtown? I flew in a couple of times and it seems like we stayed in one of the big hotels. There was a jewelry store called James Jewelry nearby I think. Everyone went there to buy individual star sapphires and other stones and Thai Brass table ware sets to send home. I remember they had a $10 drawer and a $20 dollar drawer and up for the gemstones. I sent my mother a set of brass dinnerware and she wondered who would actually use Brass table ware; especially with a coat of Brasso on it. I figured it would look better if polished before shipping.

Found a set of James Quality Jewelers bronze ware on E-Bay. Sold for $15.00. Cost me more than that to ship it home back then. No telling what my camel saddle footrest is worth. The place is still open for business in Bangkok. I can probably find the old hotels on Google Earth too.