MC-130H Talon II 89-0282

arschuck72

I have recently become the DCC of 282 and my ACC's and I are looking to name the aircraft. One of the things we had in mind was to give the aircraft it's original name. We have done a lot of research and are unable to find anything about the original name of the aircraft. I was wondering and hoping that somebody on here might be able to help us find this information. :confused:

Also, if anybody has any pictures of old nose art displayed on 282 it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Was 282 an original Mildenhall bird? That penguin has gone swimming - I know 0023, 1699, 0475, and I can't remember the other two - was it 0193 & 0194?

The Mildenhall birds are the only ones I'm aware of that had unique nose art. 0280 got some when it went to Mildenhall, the Highlander.

I think 282 may have been a Hurlburt bird - I know 280 was an original HRT bird, as was 281...I honestly can't remember if 282 was or not - it may well have been a KAD bird.

The original ABQ birds were 0125, 0126, & 0127.

The Mildenhall birds are the only ones I'm aware of that had unique nose art. 0280 got some when it went to Mildenhall, the Highlander.

I think 282 may have been a Hurlburt bird - I know 280 was an original HRT bird, as was 281...I honestly can't remember if 282 was or not - it may well have been a KAD bird.

The original ABQ birds were 0125, 0126, & 0127.

Ernie,

According to Lars' book, 282 was originally assigned to the 15th SOS from 1994 to 2005. It then went to the 7th SOS in 2005. From there, it went to the 1st SOS from 2008 to 2009 and is now with the 550th SOS.

No mentiom of any artwork in his book.

Don R.

Edited by DC10FE

Also, if anybody has any pictures of old nose art displayed on 282 it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

arschuck72,

I found this photo of some nose art on 282. Maybe some of the old head SOS guys may recognize it.

Don R.

The "bat" was on the Hurlburt birds, or at least during my time on them. I believe that a large decal was made and applied. Before I retired in '03, I attempted to find the origin of the artwork with the then at the time AFSOC historian. He wasn't aware that the art existed. Hmmm, I never did find out the details, but did locate this artwork which we in turn had a special welcome mat custom made for the AMU or whatever the mx squadrons are called now. Our mats were altered just a little to remove the foam from the mouth of the bat. I would give credit to the artist or developer if known. While during my time at Mildenhall, the nose artwork had much more detail, and I believe was even airbrushed. If I recall, some of old crew dogs told me that the detail had to be toned down just a little because the "hidden in plain site" artwork wasn't very P.C. at the time.

Bob

Ernie,

According to Lars' book, 282 was originally assigned to the 15th SOS from 1994 to 2005. It then went to the 7th SOS in 2005. From there, it went to the 1st SOS from 2008 to 2009 and is now with the 550th SOS.

No mentiom of any artwork in his book.

Don R.

OK - that makes sense. I flew them all (even the four lost) - hard to keep track of which & where. Original assignments are trickier still.

arschuck72,

I found this photo of some nose art on 282. Maybe some of the old head SOS guys may recognize it.

Don R.

Yeah, that was put on in '99-00 timeframe, but it was on all the 15th birds - still is on most of them, at least when I left last year. The Mildenhall birds were the only ones with unique noseart to my knowledge.

Hey US Herk, I do remember 0193 & 0194 being at Mildenhall plus the other three tail #'s you listed.

Makes sense with what I remember too. 0476 was the first one delivered to Mildenhall (I said 475 in the post above, but 475 was a Hurlburt bird) and was on the squadron print long after it left. 0194 was on the latest squadron print, complete in her Iron Maiden noseart (which was removed by MX in the middle of the night after some female MX personnel complained).

To the original poster - only Mildenhall birds got noseart. There was the original five and later 280 got some after the very first tail shuffle in '04 or so. Since 282 was originally a Hurlburt bird, it never got noseart. And after the second great tail swap for EBH conservation in '06 or so, Mildenhall quit putting noseart on the planes...

The Hurlburt, 15 SOS Bat didn't start until sometime in '99-00 timeframe. The first version was too bright and showed up on NVGs, but it has since been 'darkened'. You can still see it, but not like before.

Found a pic of the newer 7th Print:

1699 - Merlin's Magic (one of my favorite planes)

0023- The Fourth Horseman

0194 - Iron Maiden (I believe this was originally 'The Dawg Pound')

0280 - The Highlander

0193 - Berserker

I don't recall 0476...it was something with a bird coming at you with Talons extended, I think...if I think of it, I'll post it up for grins.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I believe 0282 also had the ramp actuators get pushed through the empennage due to the ramp contacting a mountain? That is what I was told during my Mildenhall tenure (05-09).

Dave

Yeah, Dave. That be the one.

Remember the yellow scab patch as you make your way up the door that said "That shit will buff out!"? :)