Safety milestones

bobdaley

I had some stats on Herk safety in the ANG/AFRC. I counted 9 units with over 40 years of accident free flying, and a lot more with spotless records. So I decided to try the same for active duty units. I was looking up info and ran into some questions can anyone help?

I think I remember 36AS was a 141 squadron from 1989 to 1993?

When did 79 RQS first get Herks? It was the only Herk Sq not in the squadron history listings at AF Historical Research?

Has 50AS been accident free since 1972?

Has 67SOS been accident free since it got Herks in 1965?

Has 53AS been accident free since it got Herks in 1993?

Is 517 AS still an Associate SQ at Elmendorf?

Back in 1969, 65-0990 an HC-130H was lost off Taiwan. Every place I have looked said it was from the 57ARRS, but the 57ARRS was at Lajes at the time. I guess it could have been TDY but just wondering?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Bob

BTW right now it looks like 67SOS has been accident free for 48 years, all the rest of the active squadrons are 30 years or less.

Bob, can't help you with the squadron timelines, but I'm curious where you get the mishap data. Recently I tried to get some stats from the Air Force Safety Center with no luck. They publish Class A mishaps data on their website, but I was looking for more minor mishaps, like Class B and C. Thanks.

Bob,

From the AF Historical Research Agency web site:

Aircraft. C-47, 1942-1946; C-82, 1946-1950; C-119, 1950-1957. C-130, 1966-1968. C-130, 1968-1989; C-141, 1989-1993; C-130, 1993-.

The nine units with over 40 years were:

115AS CA ANG 43 years C130A,B,E,J

96AS AFRC MN 42years C130A,E,H

109AS MN ANG 42 years C130A,E,H

139AS NY ANG 42 years C130A,D,D6,H,LC130H

142AS DE ANG 42 years C130A,H

328AS AFRC NY 42 years C130A,E,H

187AS WY ANG 41 years C130B,H

815AS AFRC MS 40 years C130A,B,WC130E,WC130H,C130E, C130J

711 SOS which recently gave up their MC-130E's had 42 years

Along the same line of the remaining Guard and Reserve Herk units only 5 have had accidents:

95 AS 2 both in Honduras

731AS, 154TRS, 156AS, 165AS one each

Bob

Bob, I'm not at all surprised that ANG/AFRC herc units have outstanding safety records. When I was assigned at Hqs. TAC, part of my job was assistance visits to guard/reserve units converting to C-130Es. Prior to this time I'd had little exposure to these units and like many active duty guys, had little regard for Reserve Component units. That quickly changed as I traveled to the different units. I was repeatedly impressed with the condition of their airplanes and the professionalism of the troops assigned. In one unit I met a crew chief that had been on the same aircraft for ten years. In another I saw two pilots with white hair and weathered faces. It appeared they had been flying since Mitchell and probably had a zillion hours. Further, for the most part, unit facilities were top notch. Better, in many cases, than active duty units.

It's been a long time, and most units were very good, but the California Guard unit then at Van Nuys stands out in my memory as outstanding. I think they were just greatly relieved to get rid of their C-97s.

• 11 months later...

I had some stats on Herk safety in the ANG/AFRC. I counted 9 units with over 40 years of accident free flying, and a lot more with spotless records. So I decided to try the same for active duty units. I was looking up info and ran into some questions can anyone help?

When did 79 RQS first get Herks? It was the only Herk Sq not in the squadron history listings at AF Historical Research?

Has 50AS been accident free since 1972?

Has 53AS been accident free since it got Herks in 1993?

Is 517 AS still an Associate SQ at Elmendorf?

Back in 1969, 65-0990 an HC-130H was lost off Taiwan. Every place I have looked said it was from the 57ARRS, but the 57ARRS was at Lajes at the time. I guess it could have been TDY but just wondering?

Thanks

Bob

BTW right now it looks like 67SOS has been accident free for 48 years, all the rest of the active squadrons are 30 years or less.

Hello Bob, I was thinking of 0990 today it being Memorial Day 2014. She was from the 31st ARRS out of Clark AB,PI. Lt Col George Pinyard was the squadron commander,Captain Giles Gray was the AC commander,there were 14 on board and 13 were lost, one PJ survived. I have a crash report buried away that I can access later if you desire. At the time I was a AGE Sgt in the squadron, and remember the day quite well.

The original Australian c130 squadron no 36 squadron with over 500,000 hours on 12 airframes, no accidents since 1958. Coupled

to 37 squadron who from 1965 have almost another 400,000 hours accident free ,on 12 airframes too.

We were taught good by the USAF exchange pilots two at least have gone to herky heaven. A great job by our maintainers coupled to an excellent aircraft..

Regards Col

• 2 years later...
On 5/25/2014 at 5:18 PM, addison said:

Hello Bob, I was thinking of 0990 today it being Memorial Day 2014. She was from the 31st ARRS out of Clark AB,PI. Lt Col George Pinyard was the squadron commander,Captain Giles Gray was the AC commander,there were 14 on board and 13 were lost, one PJ survived. I have a crash report buried away that I can access later if you desire. At the time I was a AGE Sgt in the squadron, and remember the day quite well.

Was at McGuire for HC-130 training after Tech School with orders for Clark and the 31st ARRS in January/February, 1969, when this accident happened...the PJ who survived eventually came back to the 31st and resumed duties there...an amazing story...

On 6/8/2013 at 3:07 PM, bobdaley said:

Has 50AS been accident free since 1972? Now Closed

Has 53AS been accident free since it got Herks in 1993? Now Closed

Is 517 AS still an Associate SQ at Elmendorf? Now Closed

Thanks

Bob

• 10 months later...
On 9/2/2016 at 0:48 PM, David.Bearden said:

Was at McGuire for HC-130 training after Tech School with orders for Clark and the 31st ARRS in January/February, 1969, when this accident happened...the PJ who survived eventually came back to the 31st and resumed duties there...an amazing story...

RIP: SSgt. Carlton E. Stroud (Feb 7,  1938 - Feb 5, 1969) 65-0990 off Taiwan. How can I obtain a copy of the crash report?

Sept 7, 2017.  Copy has been received! Thank you, Debbie Stroud

Can anyone provide a link to or copy of the accident report for 68-10951 that crashed on 10 Dec 78 

Any other data (reports/ accounts) on Throttle Cable Failures would be greatly appreciated as well. 

Especially interested in any reports of Reverse blade angle encountered in flight and or blade separation.   

Thank You!!

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2017 at 3:40 PM, Debbie Stroud said:

RIP: SSgt. Carlton E. Stroud (Feb 7,  1938 - Feb 5, 1969) 65-0990 off Taiwan. How can I obtain a copy of the crash report?

Sept 7, 2017.  Copy has been received! Thank you, Debbie Stroud

My father SSgt Walter E Bechyne was also a casualty of this crash, I too would like to obtain a copy of the crash report. What little knowledge  I have of my father and this incident is that he was assigned to HH-3s in some capacity or another but volunteered for this mission to serve as a spotter. I would greatly appreciate any information anyone can share with me that I can use to bring him and the other lost airman to life for my young children.  Thank You, W. Andrew Bechyne