FLAP ISSUES

JTECH

I have an intermittent flap problem, flaps selected to 50% and no movement cb pulled for landing then servicable after landing, flaps selected to 100% stopped at 56%, flaps retratced stopped at 80%, flaps selected to 100% did not move found servicable after landing, flap motor replaced, control switch replaced, selector control valve replaced, flow restrictor valve replaced, rigged several times.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

the asymetric brakes are working as advertised

and it was the aircrew that pulled the breaker...not sure why they do things sometimes.

I am very baffled, I have 20+years on legacy hercs and not near as long on J-Models

I have found that problems like that are best worked on AFTER reindexing the asymmetry brake switches correctly. Too often, the problem goes away after I do that.

Question- do the flaps stop working and display an ACAWS (C-130J) like flap cable? I found on the J models that the cable break switch located around F.S 450-460RH overhead to be adjusted a little to sensitive. You must verify the cables are at the proper tension and adjust the switch tab IAW 1C-130J-2-27JG-50-1. Para 27-51-36. It could be that the cables are bouncing and whipping and triggering the switch which then trips the flap assem. brake valve. Just a thought.

Ramrod

I talked too an old buddy last night and he was in the same thinking as you guys to focus on the brake switch alignment, I had not thought about the the tension switch....to much time on old H models. I am looking at that right now. thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked too an old buddy last night and he was in the same thinking as you guys to focus on the brake switch alignment, I had not thought about the the tension switch....to much time on old H models. I am looking at that right now. thanks guys.

Was this issue resolved?

I re-read your initial post and you never stated that you have had to manually reset the asymmetry brake valve on the utility Hyd. panel. This leads me to believe that the issue is an electrical intermittent problem common to both the up switch and the down switch in the cam/switch assembly on the flap drive. Looking at the 1C-130J-2-00WD-00-1 figure 3-75, power feeds from the #8 ECBU to the cable fail detect switch then to terminal strip TB 505L Terminal 1, the to the can/switch assembly thru wire C100F20-2. I'd check for power, loose terminals/screws. Check for power. Check the grounds and check that the rollers on the switch followers are not improperly adjusted by being bent at the arm instead of the switch actuation tab. Also quite frequently we found pins at the cannon plugs recessed (either not properly installed in the cannon plug and locked in place or missing the pin lock). For some reason, very common in the J's.

Ramrod

• 2 weeks later...

The guys found the restrictor in backwards and was replaced, I still think that would not account for what was happening, but that call is above my pay grade. If it re-occures I will look closer at the BAU and connectors.