Okay, I have a question

JimH

Lately I've seen several videos and still photos of Heavy Equipment drops and I have noticed that the anchor cable arms are retracted during the drop. When I was doing this (1966-79) the checklist said to put the arms down as soon as the ramp and door were open... what's up?? - Did they change the procedure?

JimH

C130 LM/ILM 1966-1979

Can't speak to those years, SLCS & PEFTC were still taught when I re-trained `93. Those were both on the way "out" so nomenclature and rigging were still evaluation questions. The "Wedge" was also in the mix - last one I saw was on the parking ramp adjacent to the assault zone at KDYS. For the time I crewed Herks the only airdrop requiring the aft anchor cable supports to be lowered after the ramp and door were "open" would be as RavenFE states. BREAK RavenFE! Don't forget "tailgate" = "SLOWDOWN CHECKLIST", B. Tailgate Exit

(1) Jumpmaster Alerted

(2) Helmet Visor - Lowered

(3) Ramp and Door - "CLEAR TO OPEN" (LM)

(4) Aft Anchor Cable Supports - Lowered (If Required)

(5) Cargo Ramp and Door Control - Assumed by

Jumpmaster/Safety

(6) "SLOWDOWN CHECKLIST COMPLETE" (LM,E)

Lately I've seen several videos and still photos of Heavy Equipment drops and I have noticed that the anchor cable arms are retracted during the drop. When I was doing this (1966-79) the checklist said to put the arms down as soon as the ramp and door were open... what's up?? - Did they change the procedure?

JimH

C130 LM/ILM 1966-1979

Jim:

In the "old" days before the EFTC, the SLCS or "Gangbang" was used for force transfer on heavy drops, and the anchor cable supports had to be down. After the Gangbang went away, so did that requirement, however there are some newer systems like extracted 10K Dragonfly and others that are extracted but use static line deployed parachutes. These types of drops require the anchor cable supports to be extended. So, the "if required" in the checklist will catch that.