Go reserve FE?

Hey guys and girls I am flirting with the idea of getting out of AD and trying my hand at being an FE on 130's. I have 8 years in as a crew chief on c-5's and will be going to mildenhall to work on the afsoc 130's for 3 years. I love being a crew chief but I wouldn't mind living somewhere permanently. So if any one wants to give their 2 cents on this matter please feel free to lay it down. Last but not least I would really love to live in col springs working for the col reserves. Thanks in advance for any and all help on this matter.

-Matt

Huh... First off, consider both Guard and Reserve. Finding a unit to accept you shouldn't be a problem.

Secondly, keep in mind that current thoughts within the AF see the legacy Herks going to the boneyard in the next XX years. That means in some undetermined time frame, you will either have to cross train to become a J-model loadmaster, go back to being a crew chief, finding another job or get out all together. Do I believe this will happen any time soon? I'm not sure. What scares me is that sequestration will continue to strangle us with uncertain results. There are talks of a new AMP-lite and Congress told the AF to keep something like 32 airplanes it wanted to park. This could be good or bad.

Thirdly, and largely because of sequestration, you will need to have a full-time job on the outside. The days of being a bum are behind us. Once you've finished your training, the man days bucket is pretty much empty. Don't forget that you'll still need to fly and keep current.

The outlook picture I've painted is grim. That being said, there could be some monumental changes to the political landscape and everything could come up roses.

Railrunner, thanks for the input like I said I'm just lookin around right now trying to figure out stuff and I appreciate any and all feedback positive or negative. I know that colorado has the h3's so that's a plus but other than that I really don't know anything.

Your best bet is to contact reserve and ANG units and ask some questions. I retired from the WV ANG unit at Charleston. Many changes since I retired in 02. Once you make above Tech. it will be harder to get into a unit without a loss of rank. I was a "part timer" and had a full time civilian job.

Pick a Guard or Reserve unit you like and make an appointment to talk to the Chief of the FE section. Some units have long waiting lists of people already in the unit who want to become FE's, others are short. The Chief can tell you what the chances are.

Bob

The units that have openings might be because of retainability problems... cost of living, bad leadership, etc. and flying as a reservist is much more difficult than being in maintenance. Not only do you have your normal drill periods, you also have additional AFTPs and currencies. It means for the first year or two until you get real good at FE-ing you'll need to commit to at least one flight a week to stay smooth and keep your currencies green.

When it comes to the Air National Guard look before you leap.

Talk as much as possible to everyone in the unit. Some units can have clicks that are impossible to over come and will only create hard feelings.

Also, check how promotions a handled. In most cases as a part timer you can only go so high in rank until you hit the wall. Usually, that is a T/Sgt. Another good indication of the rank cap is check the back log to attend NCO school. To get beyond T/Sgt you have to attend a USAF Senior school.

On the flip side, retirement from the guard is as good as the regular service.

Legally speaking, if you pass the ASVAB, flight physical, meet the qualifications and there is an opening, a Guard unit (not sure if the same is true in AFRC) can't turn you down.

Usually with us, you'll meet with the section chief and Squadron commander. We try to explain the gravity of your commitment, the seriousness of the job, schooling requirements (you will take the first opportunity to go to school), what we expect of you and your likelihood of promotion.

Chris,

I just got word that I am eligible. But, I have bad news for you!!! It seems you are almost exactly a year too old!!!

Better luck next time!!

Giz, I also checked if they could use you. You make the correct age bracket, but you live too far away!! They are a little short on "travel pay" money!!

Sorry guys,

Ken

Well, if that ain't the shits!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find myself havin' to start lookin at medicare supplement plans and such, and then you throw this at me!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if I can take much more!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a little more white lightnin' in my Metamucil will help me get by!!!!!!!!!!!