Bosnian War

Mt.crewchief

As long as I have been a member of this forum, I don't remember any mention of the war in Bosnia. My question is, did any C-130's take part in the conflict?

If so, I think it would be very interesting to hear some of your stories about what part you guys played. Also, if any of you have any pictures of your trips in and out and especially any base or off-base pictures would be great!!

Also, was there any medal or commendation made for your participation?

I would find it hard to believe that the mighty Herk wasn't involved! I remember watching the news when it looked like the first plane into Baghdad was a C-130!!!

Thanks in advance for your input and pictures,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

The guard and reserves were there fer sure. My funniest recollection about the rote was when Dobbins and Maxwell were at Ramstein supporting this little skirmish. Maxwell had a bird down for an engine change, I think it was at Split. I was told by the brass to go over to the base engine shop and check out the engine that the base was going to send and make sure they knew we needed a -15 engine. When I get there and tell them what I'm there for they inform me that their shop is a Queen Bee engine shop and they don't need no stinking reservist telling them anything. At that time I was just an E-8 ART with 30 years on the Herk. I says ok it's on you guys. Well you guessed it, they sent a -7 engine

to Split and the engine guys hung it and ran it up ,couldn't get 1083 TIT.....ROTRO!!!...one small problem it was an H model they hung it on. Poor guys, it was winter there also. Lot of hollering and cussing involved. Can you say do-over!! :( Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Hey Thomas, I was at Sewart also and they did have a great engine shop. Were you there when they built the huge new engine shop then closed the base? Things have w-a-a-a-y changed since those days. Squadron engine shops are very restricted in what they can do to an engine now. Basically only light stuff compared to the old days. There is this insane "Just in time" supply game they play now...only the spare parts ,ie engines, props etc., don't get there "Just in time" and we have to cann parts like crazy to" keepem flying". I retired in 2003 but from what I hear it ain't any better today. :( Bill

Spectre623, I was at Ramstein in 94 on a rotation and had the aero meds demand we configure the a plane for a 141 configuration which would have put the comfort pallet on the ramp. The gal in job control told me the aero med said, "I know there are 6 pallet positions on a C-130". I said "they are correct, there are 6. Do you know where pallet position 6 is"? The person in job control: "No Sgt I don't". "It's on the cargo ramp and is at an angle of approximately 45º when it's closed for flight which is pretty handy if you want pressurization and to fly faster than 150 knots". "I'm pretty sure they can't sit on the shitters with an angle like that". We got them assigned an H2 with a flush toilet. We should have complied with their demand. :rolleyes:

Dave in WV do you remember who were the first to show up at Rhein Mein in 1992? Was it you guys at Charlie West and Nashville?

Also Spectre623 that was a great story about them hanging a dash 7 on a H it doesn't surprise me. Every prop I got from them leaked like a Sift... From the Dome seal no less...

I remember back in the Clinton days when they pretty much shut the engine shops down capability wise. We'd just gotten 1055 from Nashville. That airplane sat for a year without engines until we received enough engines to get her back in the air.

As for the -7 engine on an H2, I imagine it'd work for a one time flight? Whether it violates 20 different regs is another story.

Funny Railrunner you said that...while working at Lockheed from 83-85 we built a batch of H's for the Coast Guard with -7 engines. They called them H-7's. They were to upgrade later with -15's. The old Navy captain in charge didn't want sealed starters or QD's on the generators and a couple of new fangled gagets that I don't remember. Soooo, H's will fly with -7's as long as they have 4 of them on the same plane, ha ha. Bill :)

Edited by Spectre623

I forgot you guys did not have SKE. I guess they came and modded you guys later.

I remember that about the Mortar fire. It was mostly Guard and Reserves doing the airlift. I know there were some active units there but mostly Guard and Reserve made up Delta Squadron...

I remember back in the Clinton days when they pretty much shut the engine shops down capability wise. We'd just gotten 1055 from Nashville. That airplane sat for a year without engines until we received enough engines to get her back in the air.

As for the -7 engine on an H2, I imagine it'd work for a one time flight? Whether it violates 20 different regs is another story.

Yeah all of Nashville engines went bad. Flying around all the time at 1010 TIT will do that, so they found out...

I was in Brindisi a couple of times and know the gunships and talons participated, here is a link with some good information and photos about the H model gunships.

http://www.spectre-association.org/bosnia.htm

Thanks 696574CC, That is just the stuff I was looking for! I just knew the C-130 would have seen action in that war!!! Did any of you guys ever spend any time on the ground in Bosnia? It's kind of funny, but I just finished reading a book about a guy that bicycled from London to Brindisi. Now I get an idea what it looks like there!

Thanks,

Ken