DIPPING TANKS

JTECH

Anyone know if there is a dipstick for the J Models, similar to the E/H a wooden stick used to check tank levels when the gauges are broken....like always?

I'm sure there is, I would guess you could use the same stick as the E/H; to the best of my knowledge, it's the same wing. Regardless of the stick you use if you check the symmetrical tank and the two tanks are the same, you will have a correct fuel quantity.

Ron

JTECH,

I'm not denying that the guides are specific. I was flying when they went from JP-4 to JP-8 and we never replaced the sticks we just dipped the opposite tank to get our reading, this method never failed me. I'm sorry that your new plane is already malfunctioning as you described, I can't imagine the problems that will present when the planes start really racking up the hours. As to your original question, have you tried contacting either Warner Robbins or Lockheed Martin for guidance? Not sure if it will help or not but I have a few contact at Warner Robbins that I would feel comfortable querying.

Ron

OK guys, I'm probably going to get a months worth of sarcastic ridicule from this, but I have to ask. What possible difference can there be in a measurement of JP-4 and JP-8? Or a tank full of water for that matter? Isn't, say 8 inches, 8 inches?

tinwhistle

Chris,

Having been away from airplanes with dipsticks for almost 20 years, my reply will be just a guess. I would think that 8 inches of water weighs more than 8 inches of JP-4 or JP-8. Fuel is measured in weight, remember?

Don R.

Different densities, so if you fill the tanks up to the same level they will weigh different amounts. Or, if you have the same weight the volume will be different. And the densities change with temperature too. The tank compensators are supposed to correct for that so if you take a stick (it doesn't even need markings at all) and the symmetrical tanks have the same level in them then you know the tank with the inop gauge has the same amount as the opposite tank.

Chris,

Having been away from airplanes with dipsticks for almost 20 years, my reply will be just a guess. I would think that 8 inches of water weighs more than 8 inches of JP-4 or JP-8. Fuel is measured in weight, remember?

Don R.

True. I just don't remember if the dipsticks are marked in gallons or weight. But it shouldn't really matter now should it? It doesn't really matter if you use a broom handle (I have) or a fancy-dancy fangled LM dipstick. Dip the side with the operating gage, mark the handle, dip the other side. If there's a difference transfer some fuel into the tank.

Yes that could work in a bind, but let us not forget about rules, regulations and accountability. I'd hate to have to explain why I used a broom to dip a tank, when there is a specific tool designed for the job. But a part of me couldn't agree more.

Well if there's no dipstick available, and you're in a bind, you'd use whatever you had available, including the multi-purpose, multi-functional seat rod.

Just as a quick aside: do the new generation Herks have the good 'ol po-go stick??

I think what Chris was asking is if the J-model uses the pogostick the same way the legacy Hercs do. Do they drain the water using the same pogo stick?

Don R.