C130A-II

gkeeler130

Somewhere on this site was a post about the electrical system on the A-II. Can't be of much help with that as I was an H model cc. But I did some work at Moldyhole 67-69 on the Rhine Main birds when they needed heavy maint or things like a rocket removed from the tail of a bird that was listening near Russia. The EOD guys from Lakenheath were good disarmers. The operating Sq. was the 7406th Support Sq. The book "The Price of Vigilance" gives a great description of the death of 56-0528 c/n [cn]3136[/cn] in Armenia. It is a great read, written by a former backseater in the module. During this time there were some black 130Es that were rumored to be from Ramstein. Once I Helped a FE change a set of nose tires, he wasn't very talkative except for the task at hand. I found out what the term "sneaky pete" meant. My first flt chief was a T/Sgt from the 7406 SS, and he couldn't tell us much except he was glad to get away from the A model. I never even knew what the AF security service was. I heard of it, thought it was the AP's. In the book, there is a great history of ELINT crews, flying RB47's RB29's,RB50's and Slick Chick F-100's from Bitburg, Germany. A great number of our brothers lost their lives flying ELINT missions in PACAF and USAFE. Mother AF wasn't always helpful as they could be to the families, you know security and all that.

George,

Quite a coincidence -- I ordered that book & it arrived in the mail last Saturday (9/21). I haven't had a chance to get into it yet, but there are some interesting pics; even one of 56-0528.

The black C-130E's you refer to are most likely the MC-130E's from the 7th SOS.

Don R.

George,

Quite a coincidence -- I ordered that book & it arrived in the mail last Saturday (9/21). I haven't had a chance to get into it yet, but there are some interesting pics; even one of 56-0528.

The black C-130E's you refer to are most likely the MC-130E's from the 7th SOS.

Don R.

Don - if my memory serves me, you are correct about the Es. They was based at Ramstein and around 72 Rhein-Main picked up that mission. Their configuration was not like the AIIs or BIIs.