Just Enlisted.....Looking for Electricians

jsmith

Cool, just wondering if you enjoyed your time working on the plane. I am looking forward to it. I just got out of school with my license and figured I would join the Air National Guard. The E&E is the job I chose, and I just wondered if anyone had any experience or good or bad times they had with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Good for you. Yes the E&E career field is a good choice in Maintenance. As a former E&E troop later a Flight Engineer you will learn most of all the systems in the C-130 in that career field. You touch everything just about with a wire attached to it or a bleed air line, and also to include Oxygen systems and Air conditioning and pressurization. You will also learn the Engine systems, to include the Propeller systems. You pretty much work on everything even the landing gear. I had no problems when I cross trained into Flight Engineer during the systems portion of the school. I had worked on everything on the Airplane pretty much. If you go in with an attitude to learn you will do great. Great choice...

A very good friend of mine worked ECS at Langley, later went to Guard at Martinsburg, and then to Glenn L. Martin, all on 130's. Then somehow, he decided to come over to the dark side and became a fire department chief at a guard base in Ohio. I think he liked the work, and the chances to go just about anywhere the herks went.............Sadly he passed away in "98 three months shy of his 48th birthday......Some of you old Langley guys may remember him as " Julius", all six foot four inches of him

Giz

A very good friend of mine worked ECS at Langley, later went to Guard at Martinsburg, and then to Glenn L. Martin, all on 130's. Then somehow, he decided to come over to the dark side and became a fire department chief at a guard base in Ohio. I think he liked the work, and the chances to go just about anywhere the herks went.............Sadly he passed away in "98 three months shy of his 48th birthday......Some of you old Langley guys may remember him as " Julius", all six foot four inches of him

Giz

Gizzard - what was Julius last name? I worked ECS at Langley 68-69, assigned to 36th. Of my three career fields ECS was my favorite, lots of TDYs.

Gizzard - what was Julius last name? I worked ECS at Langley 68-69, assigned to 36th. Of my three career fields ECS was my favorite, lots of TDYs.

Naw, Julius was his nickname.............His real name was Larry Seeders............and he was with the 36th in 69, best I recall....Great tall guy with glasses..................

I was an electrician on the 130 E for 4 years. Learned a lot and became quite respected even as a young troop. Was sent all over the world troubleshooting and fixing just about every imaginable system on that sweet airplane. Your TO's and wiring diagrams are important tools but your experience (built over time) is essential. Pick the brains of those around you. Learn from them. Best wishes for a rewarding career.