Huntsville AL

bobdaley

Hey Bob, I googled Huntsville and found a C-130 look a like but could not find a Herk. This one really looks like one till you get close enough to see the wing clearly. The leading is swept backward and the trailing edge is straight... the exact reverse of a Herk wing. The motors stick out a bit to much. It is located between the parallel runways just west of Red Stone to the right of the main terminal. Where is the real Herk located? Bill

Bill

What are the coordinates.

Thanks

Bob

Bill

I think I found the one you saw at 34 39N 86 46 09W I don't know what that is? A four engine prop but not a Herk.

I'll try to get the URL for that other post.

Bob

Here is the URL Flickr geotag map plane capture. Lockheed C-130?

It looks like a Herk on the ground and the shadow of the Herk that took the pic on there too.

Any idea what a geo tag is?

Bob

Edited by bobdaley

Bill,

My browser won't let me go to Google Earth (the computer's headed to the shop on Monday), but when I used to wander around my old stomping grounds in Africa, I'd come across what looked like a C-130, but was actually an An-12 with the swept back leading edge and straight trailing edge. Could that be what you're seeing?

Don R.

Wonder what an An-12 is doing in Huntsville?

Back when I was flying out of Miami in early 2000, on my days off, I'd take a drive up to Opa-locka and wander around the airport. There were a couple of An-26's and an An-12 based there. They had a Uzbekistan "UK" registration. Never found out what they were doing there.

Don R.