Herk nose gear pin?

bobdaley

Got this from Jerry Mitchell.

Can anyone identify it?

"I recently picked up (at the flea market) a five/sixteenth inch push (ball) pin with attached remove before flight flag (full size) with the following no. on it NAS 1396-20 and MFR 0904 also hand engraved on the side of the Handel G 601 R 101103-1 . I live fairly close to Warner Robins so I would think it came from there. I would think that someone on the site would know what its off of? I'm looking for some help here to solve the mystery"

pic attached

Bob

Anyone remember the big wedge-shaped NLG downlock? As a one-striper on my first TDY by myself, I really got my butt chewed out by the FE, Msgt Marchman over it.

Don R.

Been there done that. The old NLG down lock device weighed as much as an anvil! Anyone out there have a picture of that old clunker? Bill

Has any of you came close to forgetting the nose gear pin in. I have to say I have once in Vietnam. Just after engine run check before take off I seen the pin on the back of the pilot seat. I told the pilot and got out and removed the pin. the tower called and wanted to know what we were doing the pilot told them we were checking a tire. I had ben flying with the pilot a long time and it didn't seem to bother him but it sure bother me.

Has any of you came close to forgetting the nose gear pin in.

Yep, Dyess AFB, TX, 1973. I was a brand new FE on one of my first rides without an instructor. Blocking out on a training mission, the crew chief marshalled us out of parking and saluted with the pin in his hand! He got a well-deserved case of beer.

Don R.

I must say that I never forgot the nose pin. My Phase I instructor taught me to put the pin in the back of the co-pilot's seat and grab the streamer when the Before Starting Engines checklist was called. I also put a note at the top of the checklist page that just said GEAR PIN.

I have a note in my checklist too, and I reach over to touch the pin before I call it complete. Even after doing this sometimes I hold my breath when the gear lever goes up.