Looking for Aswers - 62-1853

Sting78021

Good evening, This is my first post, so I will introduce myself. I am the grandson of Maj. Jerry Vance. I have been in the Air Force for about three years now and loving every minute of it.

As some of you know my grandfather was on the crew of 62-1853 when it went down. I have been researching thoroughly, I have read every bit of information on this site and many others pertaining to that tail, and SEA ops. I have also contacted the base historian where I am stationed to see what he can dig up.

I am looking for more info on what his day to day operations were like around 1970-72, and if anyone knows, or could even tell me what kind of mission they were flying on August 12, 1972. Any bit of information would be greatly appreciated. My grandmother is in poor health and I am trying to arrange everything from his career properly. My families' understanding of what he did is very vague. I would like to be able to share with all of them as much info as possible. Also, if any of you have pictures of him we would love to have copies. If anyone would like my contact info please PM me.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

It is difficult to describe a "typical" mission for a Herk. However, T/O at Nakon Phenom @ 0600L to Ton San Nhut, then 2 shuttles to Hue with 160 SVN infantry with a ramp baggage pallet of bagged rice and a pig in a crate. Return flight would consist of 6 coffins and 20 body bags, wounded on stretchers, walking wounded and a hand full of troops on leave. Return to NKP with 30k Budweiser.

In Aug of 72 the battle for An Loc was winding down. In April 72 the NVA under General Giap, launched a spring offensive against south Vietnam with the intention of cutting the country in thirds and forcing the South to capitulate. Only the steadfastness of the ARVIN and American advisors along with massive air support saved the south from being overrun. The southern thrust of this offensive came from the Cambodian Border directly at the town of An Loc which straddled the major highway from Cambodia to Saigon. At least two C130 aircraft were shot down and a third (Spare 617) was severely damaged and her flight engineer killed while attempting to resupply the beleaguered and surrounded forces at An Loc. Only massive air strikes and gallant air resupply along with the fierce fighting of the ARVIN and US advisors turned the tide. The NVA had massive firepower employed in this attack including Russian tanks, Antiaircraft Artillery, and Cannon. The AAA was used very effectively against any and all aircraft. C130s making resupply airdrops to the surrounded troops were especially vulnerable. I was at Tan Son Nhut Airbase outside of Saigon in the May/June timeframe 1972. I distinctly remember the boom , boom , boom of the howitzers surrounding Saigon as the sent their shells north.