Insult

tinwhistle

Around here it seems everyone lowers the flag whenever someone dies. It doesn't matter who it is, that is just infuriating.

In no way should the flag be lowered for Mandela. If you read the true biography of the man he may have done some good but did just as much bad.

I did not agree with all of George Bush's policies but at least I knew he respected the office and he would do what is needed to protect the US. I don't think if Bush died today Obama would call for the flags to be lowered.

Two things that really irritate me are those who use the terms Bush Jr and Bush Sr. They are two different people with different middle names. It is just a show of disrespect towards both of them.

Second is I absoleutly, positively will not believe anything that is printed in Wikipedia. It is a liberal haven for falsehoods.

If a conservative view is posted that someone doesn't like, it is removed and trash is put in it's place without verification.

I spent 8 years active duty, left the service for 10 years then 18 years guard and 5 years reserve. While in the guard I did over 3 years of shorts tours include 4 deployments of 18 months all over SW and Central Asia all while holding down a full time job with a wife and two kids. Just because you joined the guard there is no guarantee you won't be in harms way.

Just my 2 cents.

Around here it seems everyone lowers the flag whenever someone dies. It doesn't matter who it is, that is just infuriating.

In no way should the flag be lowered for Mandela. If you read the true biography of the man he may have done some good but did just as much bad.

I did not agree with all of George Bush's policies but at least I knew he respected the office and he would do what is needed to protect the US. I don't think if Bush died today Obama would call for the flags to be lowered.

Two things that really irritate me are those who use the terms Bush Jr and Bush Sr. They are two different people with different middle names. It is just a show of disrespect towards both of them.

Second is I absoleutly, positively will not believe anything that is printed in Wikipedia. It is a liberal haven for falsehoods.

If a conservative view is posted that someone doesn't like, it is removed and trash is put in it's place without verification.

I spent 8 years active duty, left the service for 10 years then 18 years guard and 5 years reserve. While in the guard I did over 3 years of shorts tours include 4 deployments of 18 months all over SW and Central Asia all while holding down a full time job with a wife and two kids. Just because you joined the guard there is no guarantee you won't be in harms way.

Just my 2 cents.

The Flag Code lists who, what, when, where, and for when it comes to placing the flag at half-staff. Mandela would be included in the "for" category. Since it's a Code and not a Law, there are no repercussions for those that violate the Code.

Wikipedia may not be a reliable source for reference material but it's a place to start and it does list the references to research.

As for Guard and Reserves, they are sorely needed and serve proudly. But I do recall back during Gulf 1 a news report of some people who were sorely complaining about being called up. "I just joined to get college money, etc. I can't go anywhere, I have kids." Guess there's always some bad apples in the bunch. Just like regular members, G&R people have homes and families to support, but with a bigger civy paycheck, and then they join the G&R for the bennies and a few extra bucks. Guess they never figured that they'd ever be called up and actually "have to pay the piper."

I guess I would like to give my two cents on this subject. Which, by the way was started by tinwhistle (Chris), about lowering the flag for Mandela's death. I also agree with Chris and those of you who have posted the same! But like SEFEGeorge posted on the flag code, there is a lot of latitude on who does what with the flag! Especially Presidents etc. What bothers me is with our own Presidents and ex Presidents being on the news giving speeches etc. at the services it is expressing my feelings about what Mandela did for who? Not me!! Like sparks said, when the flag is lowered for Jane Fonda, then the shit will hit the fan!!!

As far as the G&R goes, I know that if there had been a C-130 unit anywhere within several hundred miles of home, I would have signed up in a heartbeat and not for the extra money etc. Now, that there is a C-130 unit coming to Montana I still would do it! Age limits be damned!!!!!

Ken

I guess I would like to give my two cents on this subject. Which, by the way was started by tinwhistle (Chris), about lowering the flag for Mandela's death. I also agree with Chris and those of you who have posted the same! But like SEFEGeorge posted on the flag code, there is a lot of latitude on who does what with the flag! Especially Presidents etc. What bothers me is with our own Presidents and ex Presidents being on the news giving speeches etc. at the services it is expressing my feelings about what Mandela did for who? Not me!! Like sparks said, when the flag is lowered for Jane Fonda, then the shit will hit the fan!!!

As far as the G&R goes, I know that if there had been a C-130 unit anywhere within several hundred miles of home, I would have signed up in a heartbeat and not for the extra money etc. Now, that there is a C-130 unit coming to Montana I still would do it! Age limits be damned!!!!!

Ken

I know just what you mean as far as going into the G or R when 130's were moved in close to home.A 130 guard unit moved to Suffolk County A/B and I gave serious consideration to joining up.My problem was I was already working up to 16 hours a day,6 and 7 days a week on aircraft and didn't think it such a great idea to work on a different aircraft on my "2 days a month off".

You have to remember that the presidency is an institution not a person. Like it or not he is the C-in-C and he can be anyone from Washington to Custer to Patton to Kennedy in mindset on being the C-in-C.

I agree SEFEGeorge about the "institution" as opposed to a person, however, take a look at the four individuals you sited. All military men, men of conviction, men dedicated to their Country. I don't know about you, but I cannot say that about the man in the office (institution) at present. I take no satisfaction in saying that: it is a sad matter of fact that the United States of America has taken (again, in my opinion) a broad side hit over the past five years, in the court of world respect.

I agree SEFEGeorge about the "institution" as opposed to a person, however, take a look at the four individuals you sited. All military men, men of conviction, men dedicated to their Country. I don't know about you, but I cannot say that about the man in the office (institution) at present. I take no satisfaction in saying that: it is a sad matter of fact that the United States of America has taken (again, in my opinion) a broad side hit over the past five years, in the court of world respect.

I just took the first few that came to mind. But even with these 4 their mindset was quite varied. Custer and Patton as prez - balls to the wall for military action. Kennedy - more of a political process action. Could run through all the past presidents and see what kind of military mindsets they had. If I remember correctly Truman didn't have any military background but dropped 2 nucs to end war in the Pacific. So I'm not sure if a military background helps or hurts presidential action. He's got more to take into consideration than just putting men in harms way.

As we roll through our history more likely than not we'll be having more presidents without any kind of military background.

You have to remember that the presidency is an institution not a person. Like it or not he is the C-in-C and he can be anyone from Washington to Custer to Patton to Kennedy in mindset on being the C-in-C.

I agree Obama is the C and C and I respect the office of the president but not this president. I can’t understand how an admitted marijuana and cocaine user and someone who would have tried heroine if he didn’t hate his dealer so much (quotes from his book) can now have access to the nuclear football.

When I enlisted in 1972 any one of those three drugs would have totally disqualified you from ever putting on the uniform let alone be president.

I agree Obama is the C and C and I respect the office of the president but not this president. I can’t understand how an admitted marijuana and cocaine user and someone who would have tried heroine if he didn’t hate his dealer so much (quotes from his book) can now have access to the nuclear football.

Are you talking about or Obama or George W. Bush? All you have to do is Google "George W. Bush Substance abuse" and you will see that he had the same demons in his closet as the current president. I am not a big fan of politicians in general but if you call one man out you have to know the others were just as guilty and we trusted them just the same.

Justafing your bad behavior by pointing to someone else only makes you both wrong. George Bush will go down in history as the only man ever blamed for everything. But Im glad to see there is at least a few liberals on here to give the rest of us someone to disagree with. Is that calm enuff for you Giz. PS between George Bush and Obama as far as who has caused more harm to this country and are milatary not much of a thought patteren unless you are a liberal. Im going back to sleep now say what you will!

History will judge the Obama Presidency and put it into perspective. I didn't vote for this president but I truly wished him well. Now that he is in his 2nd term (foolish American electorate) my judgment is that you can take a community organizer out of the community but you cant necessarily transfer those skills to the leadership of a nation. My first real inkling of how he would be president was with the "beer summit". For a president to inject himself into such a trivial 'Therapy" session sent shivers of dread up my spine. To attempt to project himself as a peacemaker he has actually become the Appeaser in Chief. He appears weak The USA has lost a lot of credibility throughout the world and has emboldened our enemies with his lead from behind strategy. Domestically, he has no idea of what is happening in his own administration. He claims to be unaware of the controversies swirling around him and holds absolutely no one accountable....especially himself. He half heartedly offered an apology for the ACA (Obamacare) only after facing defections from within his own democrat party. Is Holder held accountable for Fast and Furious? NO. Is Sebilus held accountable for Obama Care roll out? NO. Is Clinton held accountable for Bengazi? NO Clinton, "At this point, what difference does it make?" Well Mr. President, it makes a great deal of difference to me and many others like me. As I said earlier...History will be the judge. My hope is that history wont be recorded in Chinese, Russian or Farsi.

History will judge the Obama Presidency and put it into perspective. I didn't vote for this president but I truly wished him well. Now that he is in his 2nd term (foolish American electorate) my judgment is that you can take a community organizer out of the community but you cant necessarily transfer those skills to the leadership of a nation. My first real inkling of how he would be president was with the "beer summit". For a president to inject himself into such a trivial 'Therapy" session sent shivers of dread up my spine. To attempt to project himself as a peacemaker he has actually become the Appeaser in Chief. He appears weak The USA has lost a lot of credibility throughout the world and has emboldened our enemies with his lead from behind strategy. Domestically, he has no idea of what is happening in his own administration. He claims to be unaware of the controversies swirling around him and holds absolutely no one accountable....especially himself. He half heartedly offered an apology for the ACA (Obamacare) only after facing defections from within his own democrat party. Is Holder held accountable for Fast and Furious? NO. Is Sebilus held accountable for Obama Care roll out? NO. Is Clinton held accountable for Bengazi? NO Clinton, "At this point, what difference does it make?" Well Mr. President, it makes a great deal of difference to me and many others like me. As I said earlier...History will be the judge. My hope is that history wont be recorded in Chinese, Russian or Farsi.

Well said, Sparks, well said. I truly hope our country will recover from the damage this person and his minions have caused, and quickly. Yes maybe some of the things he inherited from other incompetents, but he has not the skill, knowledge, leadership, or apparent desire to do anything about them. I hope the American citizens wake up and start going to the polls. With such a small number doing it now, it doesn't take much for those who benefit the most to skew the elections. Also, I would hope that we could get a slate of GOOD candidates, from both parties, so we no longer have to vote for the lesser of two evils.................Just my opinion, I may be wrong...............