Cargo Door and TroopDoor Ladder

Talon1LM

I found the the limit for the Cargo Door. It's 578 lbs. I did not find it in a Tech Manual but rather a Lockheed Tech Bulletin. The weight is broken down as follows. 150 for the fwd most section; this section has the three small compartment. 100 for the section where the ground loading are. 128 for the section with the two small tub cover with the canvas. 100 each for the aft most storage bins. 150 + 100 + 128 + 200 = 578.

Okay, here's something that comes to mind, it seems to me that, on the E's I flew, mostly 61 to 63, to close the cargo, first you raised if, using the switches, then pulled the up-lock release and then lowered it, right???? I know that you could raise the ramp a bit by putting the manual valve to raise ( the ramp) and then dropping the door, which allowed some pressure to, I guess, cross-feed to the ramp valve??? Or did I just imagine all this??? also, if the ramp and door was closed from the cockpit, how was the door up-lock overridden????

I know what you are talking about. Have seen it done(on "J" models), but can't remember the exact way to do it.

Don't come across the opportunity much at the factory. When doing pressure, we have a hyd cart hooked up to the ramp/door to open close them. When I do final decay I just hand pump up the ramp, or get the E&E Functional Test guys to do it with aux pump (For some reason only the E&E's can turn on power / operate doors/ramp on factory floor.

We had the tie down chains in bins along side the bottom ramp door, don't remember how many there were. The binders were hanging close to the bins and the straps were hanging next to them.

I tried to keep 3 cases of "C" rations in the upper door and a case or 2 of Mcgoo.

I never saw any of the jump platforms or the loading ladders. We either let the ramp down or had the Pax enter through the crew door.

We used "J" Bars alot before we got the dual rails but I don't remember where we stowed them or the ladder we used for Maint purposses, or the Pogo stick.

We had the tie down chains in bins along side the bottom ramp door, don't remember how many there were. The binders were hanging close to the bins and the straps were hanging next to them.

I tried to keep 3 cases of "C" rations in the upper door and a case or 2 of Mcgoo.

I never saw any of the jump platforms or the loading ladders. We either let the ramp down or had the Pax enter through the crew door.

We used "J" Bars alot before we got the dual rails but I don't remember where we stowed them or the ladder we used for Maint purposses, or the Pogo stick.

Pogo stick:just aft of the flt.deck steps.Step ladder:aft side of "245".J-bars were brought out to the acft.by 780 troops if needed for a mission and stowed by the loady wherever he deemed fit.The platforms were 780 I think but I never saw the boarding ladders either.I could never get my hands on 3 cases of c-rats at the same time,1, maybe 2 but never 3.

It got to where the Flt crew would bring some c rats out to my plane before a mission, and we ate them instead of the in-flight box nasties. We sometimes went on scouting missions for what we thought we would need.

We had the "J" bars on board all the time, on my plane.

Don,Now that I give it some thought, there was one time I got hands on a load of c-rats.I was on the maintenence team at Pau,France for the Pau JT in '62.I noticed the army troops getting rid of rats every day.They were takeing them across the road from the air port entrance and dumping them in a ditch.I asked if I could take some .They said help yourself.The team was

pretty well set for the duration.

• 2 months later...

One Friday night back in the late 70's we dropped an US Army reserve Green beret unit over the desert at Ft Bliss. On the next pass we dropped their jeep and other supplies. Prior to the equipment drop me and my second Load removed a case of C ratios for each crew member and stored them in the cargo door.

On Sunday morning we picked them up at Biggs Field. Their NCOIC complained about their shortage of rations, I told him that next time he should anticipate how much c ratios the AF crew would steal and pack accordingly.

We spent the weekend in El Paso and of course my crew visited Juarez,

One Friday night back in the late 70's we dropped an US Army reserve Green beret unit over the desert at Ft Bliss. On the next pass we dropped their jeep and other supplies. Prior to the equipment drop me and my second Load removed a case of C ratios for each crew member and stored them in the cargo door.

On Sunday morning we picked them up at Biggs Field. Their NCOIC complained about their shortage of rations, I told him that next time he should anticipate how much c ratios the AF crew would steal and pack accordingly.

We spent the weekend in El Paso and of course my crew visited Juarez,

That's funny! :D

On E models most of us took the truck ramps out of the door and tied them somewhere else for drops. Doesn't matter what the weight restriction was, some of the doors wouldn't lock up and any weight out of them helped. The truck ramps were usually tied up close to 245 so they would be ahead of the drop load. If the door wouldn't lock up the drop had to be aborted.

I don't ever remember the ramp and door being closed from up front. After a drop the Loadmaster would close the ramp and door from the hydraulic panel behind the troop door. Had to retrieve the static lines and make sure no straps or anything was in the door before you closed it. They can't do that from up front. The door wouldn't un-latch from the open position unless you put up pressure on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Dominican Republic in early 66 and managed to score a big stalk of Bananas; which I put in the door (I didn't want to have to share them) and stored the truck ramps in the cargo area. Landed in some civilian airfield coming back to the states and customs and agriculture came out to inspect the plane. Apparently I was not supposed to import bananas on a C-130 into the states. They took the bananas and sprayed the entire cargo compartment with bug spray. Threatened to tear the blanketing off the walls to look for other contraband. A/C calmed everyone down and no serious result. I caught some crew grief. They liked to sing "Day-Oh, Day-Oh, Daylight come and the bananas don't go home". I was also referred to as "Airman Banana" for quite awhile. The Nav would call over the headsets "Airman Banana bring me a cup of coffee please" and they would all burst into the song.