JFK's Casket

bobdaley

I got an e mail a few weeks back and could use some help.

I think on the old herk pages we had this discussion but my old timers is drawing a blank.

Back on 18 Feb 66, a herk dumped the first JFK casket, the one he was flown in to DC from TX, into the Atlantic.

Andy Vaquera asked if I knew the tail number. I can't remember and can't find my notes.

Seems I remember a B model from Sewart made the drop. I thought it was a 61 B model

The one report I found said The crew was from the 61TCS which was at Sewart then.

AFHRA website has been down for 2 months so no help there. Right around that time 61TCS converted from B's to E's?

The report list the tail number as 54960 obviously incorrect.

The crew listed was Maj Leo Tubay AC, Capt Frederick Clark CP, SSgt Thomas Eagle LM, A1C Michael Kelly LM,

If I can add the report on here the most important info is on page 14 and 15.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Bob

Kennedy Casket.pdf

Edited by bobdaley

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

C-130B 61-0960 was assigned to the 314th TCW at Sewart, we were changing over to the E's in 1965. My roommate Ken Moser was involved in a drop from Andrews as the crew chief. He is a member so you might want to ask him. I remember the flight going to Andrews as an out and back. A drop was made but no one could discuss it at the time. At the time we awaiting discharge having returned form Saigon.

Jim Lane

Jim

I sent him an e mail through the site about 3 weeks ago. No answer. Can you contact him?

Thanks

Bob

Edited by bobdaley

• 3 weeks later...

Your information is incorrect, it clearly states on page 15 of the "Kennedy Casket.PDF" file that the Aircraft was an "E" model. Also "B" model C-130 61-0960 was assigned to the 463rd TCW at Mactan AB, PI on 18 Feb, 1966, I know this to be a fact because my tent mate in the next bunk was the crew chief on it when we all left Langley AFB, VA the first week or two of Feb 66.

Brad Ludwig, USAF Retired