“The Hawk� or Hawkins

Robert Podboy

Is the term the “Hawk” (strong cold winter wind) still used when maintaining aircraft on the flight line when it is cold outside? Is anything colder than working on a C-130 @ 3AM at McGuire NJ in the winter…I don’t think so.

Robert, Well, perhaps Bodo, Norway? Especially with JP running down your arm.

As for the term Hawk, gotta say you've got me. Don't recall ever hearing that word used.

Bodo....I spent a very lonely , very cold night, alone on a Rhien Main 130 there. The bad part was knowing the rest of the crew was in going to be partying that night. The WORST part was knowing it was my own fault. I got called to go TDY on very short notice, like if you wanna go grab your junk, crews waiting for a crew chief. I was suffering the after affects of dopple bach beer and in my foggy condition I left my Passport, money, etc at RM and didn't realize it until every one was leaving. Just one more night on the Herky Hilton, albeit a very cold one.

I'm not familiar with the term "the Hawk" but I have to agree with Mark18 and Larry about Norway. I guess you would call it The Hawk by the attached descriptions. Lista Norway is south of Boda right on the North Sea. If you go to far off the end of the runway you are in the drink. It was -10 degrees, 30 mph winds, with the snow blowing sideways. I was trying to get the bird refueled so we could get out of there.

Is anything colder than working on a C-130 @ 3AM at McGuire NJ in the winter…I don’t think so.

Dipping the tanks on a B-52 in December at K. I. Sawyer AFB, MI in a blizzard. Of course, I've spent some cold times at Bodo, too. Isn't that above the Arctic Circle?

Don R.

Could say it’s ‘Hog killing weather’ but somehow that doesn’t seem appropriate on the flight line. Most everyone knows the expression ‘it’s colder than a Witches tit’ but think about it… how cold would that be. I’ll stick with ‘the Hawk is out’ at balmy McGuire or places where Herks use wheel-ski landing gear.;)