Building a home made C-130J Simulator, questions about flap lever and cursor device

hithroel

Hello everybody,

every now and then raises a question, which I am unable to solve with the available resources in the internet. There come my friends in this forum... :-)

Flap lever:

Does the flap lever have idents?

Why ist the flap lever mounted so far aft in the center pedestal? On pictures of the 130J cockpit it looks very uncomfortable/unergonomic to handle the lever.

Cursor device:

Looks like a fixed joystick....what is the purpose of the cursor device? Are there any cursors used in th MFDs? What are the functions of the buttons? Coolie hats? Are there buttons on lower side (aka firebutton)?

Thanks in advance, greetings from Bavaria and an joyous 2014

Regards

Thomas

I can't tell you a thing about the "cursur device"even if that is the correct nomanclature.That thing found it's way into 130 flight decks long after I found my way out! As for the flap lever there are % of position marks etched onto its quadrant that closely match the actual flap position against the handle position.The handle can be easily reached by the pilot or co-pilot,generally by the co-pilot at the pilots command.It could also be moved by the flt. engineer but only by command.

Thomas,

I realize you're building a J-model simulator, but on the legacy C-130's, there is a detent at the 50% flap position. Also, I don't remember the handle being that far aft. It was just behind the autopilot controls.

As for the "cursor device," like GVS, I haven't a clue.

Don R.

hithroel,

If it's anything like the legacy planes the "joy stick" center button moves around to control a cursor on a computer screen. The other buttons on the "joy stick" may be used as selection devices (think computer mouse). I have no experience with the J but we have something similar on our aircraft.

Ron

That thing is more complicated than just a simple cursor control. There are also two buttons under the handle.

And yes, there is a detent on the flap control at 50%. The flap control uses cables, and there are several microswitches in the flap quadrant feeding other systems information, like TCAS & GPWS, among other things.

That thing is more complicated than just a simple cursor control. There are also two buttons under the handle.

And yes, there is a detent on the flap control at 50%. The flap control uses cables, and there are several microswitches in the flap quadrant feeding other systems information, like TCAS & GPWS, among other things.

tinyclark,

I'm not by any means the J expert, to be honest I was just adding my thoughts. I did find the name of the panel and it does identify it as the "cursor control" I'm sure the buttons on the bottom function to possibly add data or highlight a selection, once again just my thoughts.

Ron