STEP

Robert Podboy

"The STEP program is a tool commanders can use to promote people that, in the commander's eyes, are deserving of immediate promotion." "When Airmen know that the possibility exists that they could be spot promoted, it gives them additional reason to do their best work."

Anyone know someone who got a Stripe Through Exceptional Performance?

"The STEP program is a tool commanders can use to promote people that, in the commander's eyes, are deserving of immediate promotion." "When Airmen know that the possibility exists that they could be spot promoted, it gives them additional reason to do their best work."

Anyone know someone who got a Stripe Through Exceptional Performance?

Wasn't anything like that back in my day. Would this be permanent and circumvent normal promotional procedures????? Sounds like something the Obama team came up with.

Giz, I don't remember when the program started but it was several years before I retired. It came about as a result of upstanding troops that were doing outstanding work but were having a difficult time advancing in rank. Primarily because of difficulty taking promotion tests.

I don't recall any maintenance or ops troops being promoted under this program. And I never knew anyone that had been STEP promoted. Mostly cops, admin. troops ect. The number of troops promoted via STEP was very small and did not count against normal promotion quotas. Promotions mostly involved SSgt, TSgt and MSgt with long time in grade.

STEP was a beneficial low key noncontroversial program during my time. I'm guessing that hasn't changed.

Never knew anyone promoted through STEP, but I always figured it would be, like Larry said, mostly cops, admin. troops, people that never went TDY anywhere and were always around the CC. You know, the brown-nosing, suck-asses.

I don't know anything about the STEP program, but I do know SEFEGeorge has a way with words!!!! :D

Don't know anything about STEP, but I do know that when I rotated to Langley from CCK/Vietnam I had at least one performance report recommending me for early promotion. Not only did I not get the promotion, but I was removed from the flight line. That ended what I thought would be an Air Force career. It wasn't 'til very recently that I put the pieces together. It would seem that some commander at Langley (don't know if it was Squadron Commander, Base Commander, or what) at that time was of the opinion that no first term enlistee should be Crew Chief and that no first term enlistee should be ranked above E-4. Short sighted? I've attached one of those performance reports I mentioned.

Don't know anything about STEP, but I do know that when I rotated to Langley from CCK/Vietnam I had at least one performance report recommending me for early promotion. Not only did I not get the promotion, but I was removed from the flight line. That ended what I thought would be an Air Force career. It wasn't 'til very recently that I put the pieces together. It would seem that some commander at Langley (don't know if it was Squadron Commander, Base Commander, or what) at that time was of the opinion that no first term enlistee should be Crew Chief and that no first term enlistee should be ranked above E-4. Short sighted? I've attached one of those performance reports I mentioned.

Chris, nice APR! When I managed to get all of my records a couple years ago, I discovered I was recommended for promotion etc. etc. And--I did get promoted to E-5 before I got out at Dover. I was a Crew Chief there and at CCK and was ready to stay in until I met up with the C-133's!! Also, after 33 months in South East Asia , the stateside bullshit (pardon the harsh words), was more than I wanted to handle! I still would have re-enlisted if they could have promised or even lied to me that I would get an assignment where I could go to Europe on TDY's . They couldn't do it so I got out! I wanted to be a crew chief forever or better yet a FE. Also, I think the reason I got promoted to E-5 was my time in grade. I was sworn in on a 120 day deferment in 1966 before I went active in Jan 67.

I would have loved to have given my promotion to somebody like you who was career minded!

If only we could do things over!!,

Ken

If only we could do things over!!,

Ken

Ken & others,

I guess I should consider myself pretty lucky after hearing your stories. I got out in 1967 after my first 4 years; where I was stationed at Langley and Clark on B-models. I was hired by Eastern Airlines working on Electras and Connies at Logan airport in Boston. After about 6 months, I decided I was putting up with the same BS as I was in the USAF. Me and a buddy of mine went to the local USAF recruiter and never looked back. Wound up with some of the neatest assignments in the world. Well, except for K. I. Sawyer in Michigan. Best decision I ever made!

Don R.

With all the govenment cut backs and sequestrations, I think a young first-termer should think twice about getting out. Nowadays, I'm pretty sure there's no going back. My girlfriebnd's son is in the Army as a firefighter at Pope AAF and is coming up on that decision. He knows my thoughts on that subject.

Don R.