Great Planes

JimH

Watching a Great Planes episode on Smithsonian Channel about the C-17. They dropped some troops and were then supposed to go back, land and pick the troops up. After the drop, they got an engine low oil warning and aborted back to Anchorage. The commentator said "with the C-17 out, the tower has to send another airplane to pick up the stranded troops"... and they showed a C-130 taxiing out!!! Love it!! I always said when the last C141 went to the boneyard, a C-130 would follow along to pick up the crew... (when I was flying, there were still 141s out there)...

I was in the club at Lajes before 1986 a few days before New Years and a C-5 crew was there broken down as usual. I told them we we're heading out in the morning for McGuire and they could get a hop. Their eyes lit up and they asked if we had a 135 and I said a 130. They thought about it for a few seconds and said no thanks. I laughed and said enjoy New Years at Lajes. Big MAC and it's image. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on some of the first at Naha and Sewart.

The nose gear doors opened sideways. Some also had the Roman nose.

Most were in the 2000 hour range.

I did not know that about the nose gear doors. Always thought that the arrangement on the E's was peculiar in the fact that it seems to introduce a lot of drag at a critical point in the take-off phase. Was that really any issue??