Mission records in USAF archives???

Mt.crewchief

I have a question that maybe one of you guys can answer for me.

Does the USAF keep records of daily missions? Also if they do, do they keep them in an archive somewhere?

The reason I ask, is while reading many books on the ground war/infantry actions in Viet Nam, I have discovered that most of the books I have read the authors have been able to go back to their unit records and check their memories with what actually happened on what mission and what day! Names and everything!

I am still looking for any records/missions that would include my experiences on Jan 1st. 1968. If they did keep a daily log on each acft or mission, would they still be available? As the years go by, I can still remember the mission like it just happened, but now I am wondering if I screwed up the date!!! Also, the only guy I knew on the aircraft that day was the assistant crew-chief on the plane (56-0475), Dan Lafferty. Do any of you guys know or remember him?

Would it do any good to just concentrate on missions in Viet Nam by the 374th TAW? The plane involved was in the 35th TAS. One more question,how would I find out the same info about the Blind Bat missions?

If anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them. Either here on the forum or via PM or e-mail.

Thanks for the help,

Ken

• 3 months later...

Some of us kept little log books with info to file travel vouchers. Still got some of mine. Got my old flight records too, but nothing going back to 68. If you could find somebody with the right logs still in a box you might could get a little info, but only if they crewed your plane on that date. Not sure what the USAF has in their files.