prop shaft movement

jhjbd

hi all .. a week ago I discovered a leak of oil from the propeller shaft .. I have started the engine with the propeller to see the leak ... the leak disappeared .. I have changed all the seals, and placing the propeller dome, I saw a movement up and down ... I removed the propeller, and note that I can move the propeller shaft with my hands up and down .. obviously this is not normal .. I need to know how I measure the movement values ​​and normal movement if it accepts...many thanks..

Install a micrometer so the measurement end of the tool is as far aft on the propeller shaft as you can get it. Put 81kg of downward and upward force on the end of the prop shaft. The micrometer should not move any more than .005" down, or .015" up. It must be overhauled if the limits are exceeded.

hi all .. a week ago I discovered a leak of oil from the propeller shaft .. I have started the engine with the propeller to see the leak ... the leak disappeared .. I have changed all the seals, and placing the propeller dome, I saw a movement up and down ... I removed the propeller, and note that I can move the propeller shaft with my hands up and down .. obviously this is not normal .. I need to know how I measure the movement values ​​and normal movement if it accepts...many thanks..

We used to be required to check the break away (maybe the wrong term, it's been awhile) torque of the prop nut when we were removing the propeller and if it was too low, we would have to remove the engine. I don't have easy access to the JG, is that step still required and if so was the propeller nut easy to break loose?

We used to be required to check the break away (maybe the wrong term, it's been awhile) torque of the prop nut when we were removing the propeller and if it was too low, we would have to remove the engine. I don't have easy access to the JG, is that step still required and if so was the propeller nut easy to break loose?

Yes, we still have to check to see how much torque is required to tighten the propeller retaining nut prior to removing the prop. If it is too low, we are to damage the propeller shaft so that it cannot be reused. Of course, that would mean that we would have to change the gearbox if not the engine itself.