Travel Vouchers

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon, it would be good to keep any paper work that shows (BOG) in 2009 when I retired at Pope i applied for disability (Diabetes II and bladder cancer) thru the VA in North Carolina. It took me a while in fact I moved back to PA. where the VA there got the ball rolling and within a few mos in 2010 I was awarded 100% disability. it has since been reduced to 40% but thats another story. anyway it good to keep all (BOG) paper work from in country. Hope this helps

Ok folks I've said it before and I'm going to say it again for the youngsters on here. If someone in the USAF gives you a piece of paper work, KEEP IT, I don't care what it is or for. It just might come in handy some time down the road to help you or one of your friends.

KEEP IT

KEEP IT

KEEP IT

Yep, believe me, the travel vouchers are the best thing you can have. Just because you were awarded a VSM, does not immediately fill that requirement. BUFF crews got the VSM and never put a foot on VN soil. I think that that should be expanded to"wheels on the ground", too. because suppose a flight crew brought a plane to somewhere in country for a one-time quick offload, the only members of the crew who got off were the loady and crew chief.......but ALL would qualify for the VSM, there is no time requirement, no location requirement, the personnel workin' in Thailand, Guam, Okinawa,on ships at sea, all were eligible for it if they participated in any way in support of the war. The VN Campaign medal required six months service, I'm not sure of the locations, etc.

• 1 month later...

Don't throw nothing away! VA here won't accept anything but a DD-215 with VEM or VN Cross on it as proof of BOG, but the travel vouchers will help. Got some of mine from St. Louis and some other paperwork. Took a lot of time to get them. Got a VSM on my 214, but that ain't good enough for the VA. USAF has issued a letter stating I was BOG and still working on the rest. Been years fighting this stuff. Got the office of my congressional representative pushing it now and still nothing the VA will accept yet. Hoping something will come through soon. Takes time to deal with the VA, so start early. From the instructions the VA gave me to resolve it they think I flew several hundred air drops off a carrier in the Tonkin with a C-130.