H model shuffle

bobdaley

Forgive me for nosing into your conversation, but I can't help myself! You may remember a couple years back I found my old girl ( 63 7877) on static display in the air park down in Peoria, IL. One of the most interesting facts I came across when I visited her was that she had 30,040 hours at retirement. According to what I just read, she did quite well! One other thing I found quite fascinating is that #1 engine had a tad over 25,000 hours. Again, sorry about butting in........

Yep, 25,000 hours on a T-56 is pretty amazing.

Bob, 62-1820 was a mere baby compared to a lot of commercial Hercs. Before it crashed, S9-BAT (msn 4134) was just a few hundred hours short of 100,000 hours. Actually, it most likely had a lot more than that the way Transfrik used to "cook the books" to save money by delaying C-checks.

Don R.

I never could figure out how the USAF got such low usage rates out of all different types of aircraft.

T-43's and C-9's, flying mostly airline type profiles, got no where near airline flying rates. USAF herks go to the boneyard with 20000 hours on them and C141's were "Worn out" with 40000 hours.

Another "young Herk" was GhostRider which retired with only 13,989 hours in 38 years of flying, is way under utilized... but this is comparing apples to oranges since this is a gunship. I think it had a lot of good hours left to shoot up a bunch of bad guys. :) Bill

48th has been activated 3 times at Forbes in B's 1965-1967, Forbes again in E's from 71-73 and lastly at LRF from 2003-now.

62 along with 61 have been continuously in Herks since 1956/57. Probably a good idea to keep the 62 nameplate for the heritage.

BTW of the active duty Herks;

50 the and 61 from 1956

39,40,41, 62 from 1957

36,37 from 1966

2 from 92 and 48

Bob