hazmat transportation

Juan

Hello,

I fly C-130 in Argentina, I wonder if someone can enlighten me in this subject:

We need to carry our liquid oxygen container (tube) in a mission.

I understand it is forbidden to carry it full, but is it possible to have it empty with the proper vent valve?

And if so, is it allowed to do it with passengers?

Our manuals state that it cannot be carried in passengers aircraft, but ours is a military cargo/troop aircraft,

so, there are grey points. I am searching in IATA and other sources.

thanks

Juan

"calavera"

I ran into this situation once about ten years ago. If the oxygen tank has been certified "Empty" it can be transported. If not, it is assumed to have an unknown quantity of liquid oxygen in it and must be transported hooked up to the vent.

As far as the legal aspect, I don't recall whether it can be transported with passengers or not. I believe the answer is yes, but that might be what we consider a "Chapter 3" move, which allows most hazards to be transported with passengers.

If this is a standard Lox tank used to service military aircraft, it can be carried full in a C-130 if it is connected to the overboard vent aft of the left wheel well and someone is monitoring the LOX cart pressure. No big deal , have done it many times. Even carried 2 carts vented in to one vent line. It is all permitted. Bill

Thanks all for your help.

We,ve carried it sometimes empty or partially charged connected to the vent but we do it with only the crew onboard.

But I guess the "chapter 3" move can allow us to carry military "passengers" on duty.

thanks