Rear Fuselage Support Stand

APG85

No, that's the wooden "Milkstool" that support the ramp when it is in the air-drop position for heavy loading. I'm looking for the metal framed support stand that would mate-up with the hard point on the left side of the belly band as shown in my original picture. I've seen drawings of it in the IPB but I don't remember ever seeing an actual stand or a picture of it in use. Thanks...

Pretty sure it's a hard-point...designed to mate up with a support stand. The stand had an angled head on it that aligned with the angle of the contour of the disc. I could be wrong though. If it's an "anti-corrosion devise"...it's not working on most Hercs! Interesting discussion. I'll dig in the books this week...

I'm guessing this piece is only on later acft. (post 64s) as I don't remember ever seeing it or using it.

Seems to me if it were an aft fuselage support point it would have a corresponding support on the opposite side or instead be mounted on the centerline.

Discerning people want to know. lol

As Tiny posted earlier, when we had an acft. down for maintenance and the cg was such there was concern with it tipping onto the tail skid we would load a pallet (don't remember how much weight) in the number one position. Probably not what the tech data specifies in such a situation but it worked.

Before removing engine, check wing weight (fuel) distributed and assure sufficient clearance is maintained under wing section in case aircraft settles when engine is removed. If more than one engine is removed from an airplane, install the aft fuselage blocking support (figure 9-5) before removing the second engine.

The support is installed on a mounting pad beneath the fuselage at F.S. 737.0. If this is not compiled with the airplane will tip on its tail.

This is from the 130-B-2-4. I'm done. As the Germans say, "Viel Spass", much fun.

Scott, you are the man. I'm sure when you raised the subject the troops were thinking, what the hell is the Chief talking about.

And today, thanks to you and tiny, I learned something I never knew. Perhaps, in my day, although I was a by the book troop I didn't pay as much attention to tech data as I thought I did. As I think back perhaps when I came to the unit they were loading a pallet and it worked so well no one, including me, thought to check tech data.

I see your assigned to the 1st SOW so if your talking about a gunship or talon it's pretty tough to place a pallet in the number one position.

Now the real question is, can a stand be found.

Scott, the aft fuselage support shown in the earlier post goes under the "Tail Skid" not on the anti-corrosion anode i.e." ramp closure pad". I installed that part on the Herk in the mid 80's at Lockheed. It is only screwed to thin sheet metal formers on top of the "belly band". It ain't a load bearing point. The tail skid is. The milk stool some folks mixed it up with, went under the aft end of the ramp while loading from a K Loader or fork lift. Bill :)

Edited by Spectre623

My 2 cents - There is no sacrificial anode on the aircraft and the part in question (#338677) is a support pad designed to distribute and transmit the load to the FS 737 bulkhead cap assembly. The pad is made of magnesium and corrodes readily which is why some over the years have assumed it is an anode.

GMAC, one more question and I'm off this thread...why were there 2 different dash numbers on the pad? There was one for the military Herks with the piss tubes that dumped overboard and a different one for the L-100's which used piss cans. I was told by the folks that trained me at Lockheed it was a sacrificial anode and that is why it corrodes so easily. So, from your knowledge base what was the pad for? And what did you ever use it for? In over 30 years on the Herk I have never seen this pad used nor have used it for anything. Bill :) P.S. I love a good discussion like this about old HERK !!!