Rear Fuselage Support Stand

APG85

Spectre, the pad is indeed for the support (#402508-1). The pad P/N numbers changed (-1 to -3) to reflect the change from magnesium to aluminum that tinyclark referenced. This is clearly referenced in the L-100 SMP 515B section 53-00-00 page 4. I have seen the stand in action on B models and L-100s where it proved faster and easier than trying to round up ballast at remote sites.

Although a full load of pax can produce a fairly wide spray pattern through the tubes, a sacrificial anode can only protect the area where electrolyte is present which is why they were only used on some flying boats and amphibians. The magnesium pad may have acted as an anode in a corrosion cell unintentionally, but the switch to an aluminum part confirms its intended purpose. Could be the boys at Marietta you mention were ex Consolidated or Martin guys and figured a chunk of magnesium bolted to the bottom of the bilge had to be an anode. Sorry for long winded reply[ATTACH=CONFIG]4251[/ATTACH]

Thank you GMAC. All I can say is live and learn. I stand corrected. Wonder what else I learned at Lockheed that wasn't true, ha ha. Good thing I was there only 2 years...they could have scarred me for life ha ha. Bill :)

Edited by Spectre623

I did some digging as well today. The stand (a pictured in the above post by gmac) is listed and shown in the IPB with Ground Support Equipment and listed with Engine and Prop equipment. I have the drawings as well. The round disc on the belly band is definitely a hard point for the stand to mate to. Great discussion...lots of good information. Thanks...!

I never saw one of the support stands. They are for holding up the rear of the plane if you remove more than two engines (maybe more than one at a time, it's been a while). We asked the Lockheed tech rep we had when the unit first got Herks. He explained the stand and it's use but he said no one used them as far as he knew. We used pet rocks when more than two engines were removed.

I never saw one of the support stands. They are for holding up the rear of the plane if you remove more than two engines (maybe more than one at a time, it's been a while). We asked the Lockheed tech rep we had when the unit first got Herks. He explained the stand and it's use but he said no one used them as far as he knew. We used pet rocks when more than two engines were removed.

There is one in the CTK at moody, if I remember I will take a picture. Its never used though, I've asked "stump the chump" questions when any crew chief that was around and none of them had a clue. Both planes on our ramp that have engines removed have pet rocks. The reason they don't get used anymore is simple:

if the acft rests on the stand, you have to get the acft off the stand to get your stand back (imagine pulling the wooden milkstool out from under the ramp without being able to raise the ramp) resorts to being creative such as pumping up the main struts or depleting the nose strut. or packing a whole workcenter in the flight deck lol

There is one in the CTK at moody, if I remember I will take a picture. Its never used though, I've asked "stump the chump" questions when any crew chief that was around and none of them had a clue. Both planes on our ramp that have engines removed have pet rocks. The reason they don't get used anymore is simple:

if the acft rests on the stand, you have to get the acft off the stand to get your stand back (imagine pulling the wooden milkstool out from under the ramp without being able to raise the ramp) resorts to being creative such as pumping up the main struts or depleting the nose strut. or packing a whole workcenter in the flight deck lol

Or put the engines back on.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen these on A, B, E, K, H, & J models. I had heard both tales: sacrificial anode and stand when removing more than one engine. The sacrificial anode story never washed with me, but the stand pad also seemed strange because its not on the centerline where you'd expect it to be...but it was still a more plausible answer than sacrificial anode.

Funny how some stories get started and end up with a life of their own. I remember in the early-mid '90s when we started getting some more modern control heads/panels in the center pedestal and they had internal lighting instead of the external lights. These panels are easily identified by a "+" sign somewhere (sometimes more than one on a large panel) and there were stories floating around that that's where you were supposed to shoot the panel to destroy the equipment. As ridiculous as it sounds, I heard that over and over from people...must've made sense to somebody. ;)

Funny stuff, Herk. I wish I would have made that up.

Of course, if someone did shoot the + sign, it would insure the panel lights would be inop, since the pin connector is right underneath it. The + is what you pushed on during the panel installation.

Of course, if someone did shoot the + sign, it would insure the panel lights would be inop, since the pin connector is right underneath it. The + is what you pushed on during the panel installation.

Yup. I've even removed a few in flight to show people what they were...silly. Even if the systems engineers wanted to show you how to destroy things, these were just control heads and not the true boxes that did anything special for the most part...