C-130 with angled wings?

mark18mwm

I have my doubts. I wonder who wrote the commentary? Pretty easy to type up something like that, and pass it along as fact. But what really strikes me is; upon enlarging the image I believe the vertical line drawn through the aircraft is not exactly plumb. That skews the whole thing. Just thinking out loud....

Ya, I know (Ken and Paul): I should refrain from thinking......!

I think you are right Tinwhistle about the cross hairs not being plumb. It looks to me like a standard ABCCC bird as you can see the 2 air conditioner intakes on either side of the forward fuselage and the 2 pitot tubes on the wing leading edges. I think all the Herks had this anti fatigue thing installed, called an auto pilot. Bill :)

Edited by Spectre623

I am skeptical of this also, that's why I was asking other opinions on it. To me, if you would want to orbit something, would it not be easier to increase the power to the engines outside the circle to make the plane turn with out redesigning the plane for angled wings? I was wondering if the plane ion the pic might be in a left wing down (banking) making the plane look that way, sort of enhancing the slight sweep back the wings have. I stumbled on this pic on the internet, so it must be true (with heavy sarcasm). And you know all pictures can be believed (with even more sarcasm, damn photo shop!). I did however think it was interesting and thought I would ask.

It would take significantly more than just adjusting the wings for this to fly. The engines would have to be realigned to face forward, the wing box would have to be reworked. Not to mention that the aerodynamics would require testing, new TOLD and who knows what else I'm missing.

If the wing was out of plumb, my guess would be that it was yoke-actuator-induced.

My vote is HOAX!

My vote is HOAX!

I agree with Railrunner. The entire article is BS. It's just a photo of an ABCCC bird taken from above.

Many times when I go on Google Earth, I'll initially be fooled into thinking an airplane at some airport is a Herc, when it's actually an An-12. Their wings are have a slight swept back leading edge and a straight trailing edge.

Don R.

I have my doubts. I wonder who wrote the commentary? Pretty easy to type up something like that, and pass it along as fact. But what really strikes me is; upon enlarging the image I believe the vertical line drawn through the aircraft is not exactly plumb. That skews the whole thing. Just thinking out loud....

Ya, I know (Ken and Paul): I should refrain from thinking......!

Chris, I can't speak for Paul (aka Giz), but I think you are right on this one! By the way, It was great seeing you again this year!!

Ken

That is the plane that was set up for NASCAR oval track racing.

I wondered whatever happened to it.

I'm a dirt modified racer myself, I should have caught the obvious that it is a circle track plane Ha-Ha. Maybe next year we'll see it racing in Reno with the P-51's ,P-47's and all the other old war birds!! lol

• 2 weeks later...