R.I.P. Colonel George Shipp

Just received word that George had passed on September 3rd.

George was my godfather.

The Spectre Association posted a brief obit.

"Retired Air Force Colonel George F. Shipp of Gladys, passed away Wednesday, September 3, 2014, in his daughter's home in Fayetteville. He was born on January 14, 1941, in Concord, Massachusetts, to the late Frederick E. Shipp and Genevieve Shipp. During his 28 years of service in the Air Force as a pilot, he completed three Southeast Asia tours and commanded the 16SOS, AC-130 Spectre squadron. He was preceded in death by his wife, Eleanor J. Shipp. He is survived by daughters, Christy Shipp of Dallas, Texas, and Robyn S. Rodriguez, husband Raymond; and son, Jacob of Fayetteville. The funeral service will be at a future date at Arlington Cemetery in D.C. Memories and condolences should be sent to George's daughter, Robyn ("Cricket") at [email protected] or Robyn Rodriguez 4752 Rockabye Lane Fayetteville, NC 28312-7413"

I was his loadmaster on 2 rotations to Delta Squadron (Nov 69 to Feb 70 and Sept to Nov 70). I enjoyed the flying in Europe during those times. Every so often I have though about where the other members of that crew were. I remember him very well.

I was his loadmaster on 2 rotations to Delta Squadron (Nov 69 to Feb 70 and Sept to Nov 70). I enjoyed the flying in Europe during those times. Every so often I have though about where the other members of that crew were. I remember him very well.

If you don't mind where was the Nov 69 - Feb 70 rotation?

Delta Rhein Main, Bravo at Mildenhall.

If there were two squadrons on base, Charlie was at Rhein Main and Alpha was at Mildenhall.

I knew George Shipp at Langley, really good guy.

Bob

Bob if I'm not mistaken he was on the rotation to Mildenhall earlier in the year Feb 69 - June 69. I don't remember a lot these days but I'm sure he was the AC on a flight out of Souda Bay in about May 69. Certainly a personable individual.

He was in the 36th. I got to Langley in May 69. Had cross-trained into the Loadmaster field and assigned to the 4th Aerial Port, flying with the 36th, 37th. On the Nov-Feb rotation to Rhein-Main I was a volunteer from Aerial Port. He was a great pilot and leader. We were all over Europe.

I think George was in the 36th then. They had a rote to Mildenhall in the spring of 69, when Sgt Myers stole a herk, May of 69.

Might have been that one.

I did not get to Langley until Nov 69.

Bob

Bob - thanks that's the rotation. Best I remember he was a major at that time - could be wrong.

When I first met George in 1969 he was a Captain. At the 316th Reunion in Pigeon Forge last month; Rex Riley, a hydraulics guy in the 37th, had found a set of TDY orders for a flight to Mildenhall for a rotation in March 1970. He was a pax and I was copilot.

Next year the 316th Reunion is at the AF Museum at Wright Patt.

Bob