Interesting bit of history. "The First Lady" 53-3129

P3_Super_Bee

I went down to Eglin AFB at the beginning of the year to do some pressurization testing on the the first AC-130J aircraft. When heading out of the area to a buddy's house over in Pensacola, we passed by the USAF Armament Museum. It wasn't open, and we were heading to Pensacola for a behind the scenes tour of the National Naval Aviation Museum there(friend is a volunteer there in the restoration hangar). Any way we stopped at the Armament Museum, so I could take some photos of the aircraft they have on display outside.

One of the aircraft there was an AC-130. At the time, for whatever reason I didn't read the placard for the aircraft, nor made any connection to the name on the side of the aircraft. I found out today that this particular aircraft is 53-3129. She is known as the "First Lady" as she was the first production C-130A built. She was also the first AC-130A Spectre.

I'm sure most know this here. Just thought it was kind of wild I missed that fact while I was there standing next to some big C-130 history. Did get a few pictures though. :)

• 3 months later...

I was a Maint Off at Hurlburt from late 72-early 74 and she was one of the airplanes there--quirky bird and being first off production line meant she was very different than the other C-130As I had been around at Naha in 1969--not to mention the guns and all the sensor stuff. The crew chief was a TSGT--first name Teddy

I was also at Hurlburt in 72-74,was on the line and then TODO to get it in shape for IG.

My original assignment at Hurlburt was in Log Plans but the DM (Col Wilson) moved to the gunships because of my C-130 experience. After about 5 months MPC got wise and moved me back to Log Plans where I became the Wing Mobility Officer. The OMS Sqdn CC was Lt Col Ritenour--known affectionately as the Turkey man. Great guy. We 2 more than likely crossed paths on that tiny airfield.