USAF Desert Camouflage

prinses

I always wondered about that. When I first got on 130's (1983) a lot where still south east Asia (green camo/white belly), some sand tan. Went to Germany, were they were concerned about the Russians coming threw the Fulda gap for a war in Europe, a lot of planes where sand tan camo. Then (mid-late 80's) the sand tan was phased out for European 1(lizard paint, green gray camo). then after most are European one, we go to war in the desert with green planes. I think now the DOD must have given up, paint them all dull, ugly grey. Go figure. To help answer your question, At Rhein Main we had, I believe 28 planes. I would guess 6 or 7 where tan. Did not seem to be any particular reason, the color of the paint never seemed to matter for where the planes went. Green, sand, S.E.Asia all had the same missions.

We had a few at Rhein Main. I never understood it either. Coincidentally, when I was at Norton, we would be on the launch truck all morning, and it was a blue bread truck in the San Berdoo heat of the summer. No shade anywhere. I submitted an AF1000(?) Suggestion form, to paint the top white to reflect the heat. Everyone thought it was a good idea, except the USAF Suggestion Office. "White would not work in combat areas." I asked them where would you park a blue vehicle, underneath a blue tree? It got shot down. Guess what color the top of bread trucks are now.... WHITE.

Effing USAF.

I remember the first desert camo I saw. It was in 1980 & I was living in the barracks at Rhein Main (marital problems). My room faced the flightline & I looked out the window & there was 63-9810 out there. Looked weird surrounded by all the jungle camo airplanes. (Note that I was living in the barracks -- not in a dorm.)

I also remember seeing my first jungle camo C-130. It was an A-model at Hickham in 1963 or 1964. We were on our way from Langley to Clark for a 90 day rote.

Don R.