C-27's from Howard AFB sold for 6 cents a pound

That's right folks ,16 of the 20 C-27A's that were bought for $486 million dollars by the U.S. for the Afghan Air Force, were sold for scrap for $32,000 or 6 cents per pound. That is $2000 per airplane!!!! Afghan air force said they did not meet operational requirements so they sold them for scrap to an Afghan construction company, says an article in this months Air Force magazine. Well dang, I would like to have had one for a weather vane in my front yard at 6 cents a pound. The only reason they didn't sell all 20 is because 4 are at Ramstein. The U.S. Air Force secretary is hopping mad and wants to know "WHO DUNNIT". Didn't we send them some C-130's too. Wonder what they will be sold for... 10 cents a pound? Who is running this madhouse anyway? Bill :(

Edited by Spectre623

The C-27's that were scrapped were ex Italian AF.

Most of the ex Howard C-27's are at AMARG, a few were with State Dept for awhile.

Too cold in Texas, in Panama for 2 weeks. Howard is now called Panama Pacifica and is being redeveloped, saw it yesterday.

Looks like it will be really nice. Unfortunately the Ancon Inn is gone. Wife is keeping her eye on me, so I have not been able to check out a lot of the old haunts.

Bob

Good info Bob. I corrected the title. So we bought 20 C-27's for $486 million from the IAF, that's $2.43 million each and the Afghans sold 16 for $32,000 which is $2000 apiece for a loss of OUR money of $2.42 million each! I'll bet the Italians are still laughing at us. Bill

I first got to Panama on rote in 1971, What a great time. I always come back when I can.

You would not believe the growth. Beautiful skyscrapers and resorts everywhere.

I am afraid walking downtown that someone will walk up to me and say hi Dad!

The wife would not be understanding!

Bob

Bill

That is the third time the the Italians suckered us on the C-27. The first was the ones in Panama. Then the ones to Afghanistan, and then the J models for the Army, that the AF demanded and got, then did not want them and they went to the ANG and they did not want them and they ended up with the Coasties and the Forest Service. I don't think any of them are flying.

The Italians laughed all thew way to the bank.

Bob

What's ironic is that back in the late 90s LM was teamed with Alenia to market/sell the C-27J. This was right around the time that the USCG had their huge program to update/replace a significant portion of the surface vessels/aircraft in their fleet. Well the Maritime Division of LM (not the Aeronautical) pitched a package of new cutters and a fixed wing patrol aircraft. Without consulting the Bubbas down at Marietta they bid a proposal that included the CN-235.

At the time I was working with Alenia on getting the 27J airdrop certified and let me tell you the Italians were fit to be tied. Especially when LM Maritime won. Needless to say that was the end of the relationship.

And now here we are 15 years or so later and the Coasties are getting the 27J. Like they say "one man's trash, is another man's treasure".

It's good to be the USAF.