RVN Dirt Field!

simc17

This is John. He was interviewed half way through the second section talking about the RVN fighting. Me and the FE had already left Ops to get some Combat Essential Beer down us..Elwood was my A/C in this picture. We were over the Grand Canyon taking an IRAN bird back to Georgia then 30 days leave. I flew with him for about 3 months

img088.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Now available from Amazon.com;

C-130 Hercules Operations in Vietnam

Format: DVD

Editorial Reviews

This DVD includes the following films focusing on operations in Vietnam of the C-130: "Anything, Anywhere, Anytime" is an overview of C-130 operations in Vietnam including the 463rd Tactical Airlift Wing; The AC-130 Gunship: Training and Operations in Vietnam; Operation Junction City: C-130 Airlift; Khe Sanh resupply; C-130 crash at Tan Son Nhut Airbase; C-130 transport of elephant from Special Forces Camp to Chu Lai.

Run time 81 minutes

Very limited number in stock ..... mine is on the way, they had one more in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-Operations-Vietnam-Traditions-Military/dp/B000WBFSJ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444824059&sr=8-2&keywords=dvd+c-130+operations

Edited by Graywolf88

I think that  the C130 crash in this movie is the Navy 130 that crashed & burned on the runway at Khe Sanh that happened shortly before they would not let us land at Khe Sanh any more and only let 123's & C7's land and we then started dropping CDS... Late Feb early March 1968 Tet?

First, I don't remember an airfield like that. Most of them were fairly level. As for films, the John Wayne film was a TAC production. There is a much better film called Anything, Anywhere, Anytime made by photographers from Clark in late 1970/early 1971. It's available from Traditions Military Video on their C-130 Vietnam DVD. I know the story about how it came about but don't feel like typing it all out right now. Let's just say that Howie Seaboldt was behind it.

I think that  the C130 crash in this movie is the Navy 130 that crashed & burned on the runway at Khe Sanh that happened shortly before they would not let us land at Khe Sanh any more and only let 123's & C7's land and we then started dropping CDS... Late Feb early March 1968 Tet?

The C130 that crashed at Khe Sanh was a Marine KC130 (Call Sign "Basketball") and the date was Feb 10, 1968.  We had just departed Khe Sanh, and he was inbound.  When we got to DaNang we were told about the crash and further flights to KS were cancelled. I was on my first TDY to RVN having arrived at CCK on 28 Jan, so it kinda stuck with me..

15 Oct 67 64-0548 from the 50th was lost at Khe Sanh, 6 crew killed.

The USMC that was blown on the ground was 149813 on 10 Feb 68, 3 killed.

AC was famous Marine Aviator CWO Wildfang.

Bob

The daughter of the copilot on the October '67 crash is a friend of mine. I also recently learned that her dad, Earl Bjorke, took the place of my AC at Clark, Steve Finch, either for that mission or for the shuttle. Steve went from CCK to Clark on a consecutive tour. I  don't know what Bob means by "blown on the ground." The Marine KC-130B was hit while on approach with a load of fuel bladders and set on fire. It blew up on the runway. Some of the crew got out but their passengers perished. It was one of two Marine KC-130s lost in the Vietnam War. The other collided with a fighter during a refueling mission. A third  C-130, a B, was also lost at Khe Sanh but it was after the siege had been lifted. 

OK, maybe I have found something. There was a couple of videos made while I was there and some of the 776 TAS was in them. That is probably where I saw the video. I found a link to one of them online, but the link doesn't work. The only place I can find anything about it is one of the videos is archived by Texas Tech. It is not available online. Not sure how you can get to it. Might only be available for viewing there. I copied the info and have a link. The name of the video was "Anything, Any Time, Any Where". There is some clips from the video floating around too.

Item Number

998VI0618

Record Number

Title

C-130 Hercules, Vietnam Operations

Language

English

# of Media

Creation Date

Undated

Collection

Vietnam Archive Collection

Media Type

Moving Image (VHS)

Length

60:00 min/sec

Copyright Statement

Traditions Military Videos

Publisher

Traditions Military Videos

Physical Location

CS63.3

Online Status

Item Not Available Online

Description

C-130 Hercules: Anything, Anytime, Anywhere. This video contains three films produced in the 1960s about the C-130. The first film is an overview on the aircraft, described as the most "powerful, versatile and widely used" plane of the day. You'll see clips of the early versions of the plane, beginning with the A model built in 1956 through the camouflaged E model used during the Vietnam War. There are close-ups of the plane cockpit instruments, the passenger area. You'll see the C-130 land on ice and on carriers. The second film is a walk-through of the C-130. It's various sections and equipment (inside and outside the plane) are featured. There are plenty of close-ups and good detailed information. The third film features the 463rd Tactical Airlift Wing operating in Vietnam. You'll follow a unit on some of its missions and witness the logistics of dropping a 15,000 pound bomb in the jungle for the purpose of clearing the land for a runway. You'll also hear crewmen talk about the C-130 and from military passengers, who hopped around Southeast Asia aboard the versatile aircraft. This video also contains a short five-minute segment on the important role the C-130 played during the Siege at Khe Sanh, with film clips of the aircraft supplying the Marines through various types of air-drops. You'll see the aircraft delivering 200-300 tons of supplies a day, dropping bombs around the Marines perimeter to keep the NVA from massing and taking fire by enemy motars.

Citation

C-130 Hercules, Vietnam Operations, Undated, Vietnam Archive Collection, The Vietnam Center and Archive, Texas Tech University. Accessed 21 Jan. 2015. <http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/virtualarchive/items.php?item=998VI0618>.

Pub. Credit Line

998VI0618, Vietnam Archive Collection, The Vietnam Center and Archive, Texas Tech University

Added: 24 Feb 2002[updated: 27 Nov 2013]

___________________________________________________________________________________

If the landing video is not in that one there was another video named "The Way It Is". The introduction was by John Wayne. The landing video might be in it.

Both of them could possibly be online somewhere, but I have not been able to find them.

Actually, this video is available for purchase online but it is not posted online because it has been copyrighted by Traditions Military Video. I have it in DVD and VHS.

The Marine aircraft were KC-130F's

They lost 149809 1 Feb 66, shot down 6KIA, 149813 at Khe Sanh 10 Feb 68 3 crew +pax KIA, 149814 in a mid air 18 May 69 6 KIA.

They also lost 149802 returning to Nam from R&R in Hong Kong 2 crew +pax KIA.

61-0967 was the B that crashed at Khe Sanh 13 Apr 1968

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2015, 1:39:30, SamMcGowan said:

Actually, this video is available for purchase online but it is not posted online because it has been copyrighted by Traditions Military Video. I have it in DVD and VHS.

Yeah, that is the same one sold on Amazon. It is shipped from Tradition Military Video and sold by Amazon. It is not the video with the field that has a hump in the middle of it.

• 1 month later...