RAF Moldeyhole

DC10FE

Speaking of spending half your career there, and killing brain cells, the local we used to hang out in was the Volunteer Arms on the road from the gate into Mildenhall. I spent half my time at Mildenhall there. Last time I was there, about 15 years ago, I could not wait to go back. Great bar, great people and great publicans. I drove right by it and missed it. Turned around and went back and found it. It is now a funeral home.

What a bummer!

Bob

When I was in Basic Training in 1965, we were going through the day where they look at your records and ask (?) what you would like as a career field. The guy I was working with noted that I was in the band in High School, and asked if I wanted to try out for the "AF Band of the West".. I said, no thanks, I want a flying job. Thus, I became a Loadmaster -- and never looked back!!

DC10FE: Your last is ironic as while you were on Bravo Rote during the Summer 76 I was across the Channel on Delta Rote at RM. However, I spent 4 July (the Bicentennial) at MHZ on a 24 hour layover (which funnily enough describes the activities that took place). I'd been at MHZ the autumn prior (Sep - Nov 75) on Bravo and was on the first MAC Herk that went down to Dharan SA to replace the USMTM-SA C-118 operation and assume the callsign of Bat 60.

I got back to LRAFB from Rote 76 at the end of Aug and immediately began out-processing to go to HC-130 School at Kirkland, prior to PCSing to the 67th ARRS at Woodbridge in Nov.

DC10FE: Your last is ironic as while you were on Bravo Rote during the Summer 76 I was across the Channel on Delta Rote at RM. However, I spent 4 July (the Bicentennial) at MHZ on a 24 hour layover (which funnily enough describes the activities that took place). I'd been at MHZ the autumn prior (Sep - Nov 75) on Bravo and was on the first MAC Herk that went down to Dharan SA to replace the USMTM-SA C-118 operation and assume the callsign of Bat 60.

I got back to LRAFB from Rote 76 at the end of Aug and immediately began out-processing to go to HC-130 School at Kirkland, prior to PCSing to the 67th ARRS at Woodbridge in Nov.

Interesting, Mark. I went to Rescue school at Hill in 1973 or 74 with orders back to Korat. They got canceled, though.

Really enjoyed the Bat 60 trips. All daytime flying to all paved runways. When the 37th opened up at RM, they tied up that USMTM mini-rote.

Don R.

• 2 weeks later...