50th Troop Carrier Squadron

jc130fe

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was with the 50th at CCK, Taiwan 1967-68. Spent a lot of time in country flying out of Chu Lai, and Cam Rahn Bay. I was the Loadmaster on the aircraft that was tagged "Lucky Duc" on May 12, 1968, it was painted by Maj. Reed (picture attached). Col. Bill Boyd was the Pilot on that day. I read a post by Larry Myers that he was the crew chief on tail # 62-1838 from 1967 to late 1968, this aircraft shows a late photo with "Lucky Duc" painted on it before it crashed in Idaho. I don't understand the time frame stated by Larry Myers unless he was Crew Chief when I was flying on this aircraft in country into Kham Duc in 1968. I can't imagine that another aircraft was tagged as the "Lucky Duc". If anyone has any information on the history of this plane please let me know.

image.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I was assigned to the 50th from the 314th FMS to make the move from Seward AFB to Taiwan with about a 3 weeks stop at Clark until CCK was ready for us. I was reassigned to 314th FMS on arrival to CCK. 50th was the first TCS at CCK.  I left Seward on 10 Jan 1966 on a new aircraft 64-0536 and it was one of the best aircraft we had for us engine troops but as everyone knows it was lost in 1970

• 3 weeks later...

I spent first half of 1966 at Tachikawa TDY from CCK.  I think I left Sewart in late 1965 to Clark, then Tachi in early 1966 and CCK in June.

Don Owens