Greybull WY

bobdaley

Has anyone been to Greybull WY in awhile?

This is a google earth image from last year.

None of them are registered any more.

The 6 visible herks are from the left

The grey one is 3220 ex 57-0513 ex N8230H

The next 2 wingless are 3218 ex 57-0511 ex N134HP and 3166 ex 57-0459 ex N135HP

Then the green one almost in one piece is 3115 ex 56-0507 ex N132HP

The one looking like it is held down by tires is 3143 ex 56-0535 ex N133FF

And the one with just the forward fuselage is 3537 ex 58-0740.

Anyone able to update this and has anyone heard what they plan to do with them? Looks like beer cans to me.

Thanks

Bob

It appears that 57-0459 is to the left of 57-0511!

Edited by bobdaley

Oh I got you now. That is or was a firefighting museum, maybe closed.

The airplanes you asked about are PB-4Y2 old Navy Patrol bombers used to fight forest fires.

They were based on USAAC B-24's

Bob

between your question and Google Earth I spent the afternoon on GE and in the books, I actually found out that H&P had 9 C/KC-97's. One went to the Minn ANG Museum, One to the Berlin Airlift Museum and the last 7 are still there rotting away. Good way to spend the afternoon.

I was down there a while back in 2013 surveying 0459 for a customer and noticed 57-0511 sitting next to it and went over for a look. Was interested because I fly a lot on 0512 (N118TG). The history on it as was related to me is that the ANG flew it to PDM and then it went straight to the boneyard. Hawkins & Powers got it out of the boneyard and used it as a pilot trainer but never screwed with the structure or put a drop tank in it. Then they parked it there in Greybull.

When I looked at it, the interior of the airplane looked like it had just rolled off the production line. The cargo compartment was pristine, likewise the cockpit. Even had that "new airplane smell". If it has a good center wing, it could certainly be a flyer again with less work than it took to rebuild 118TG, 119TG, or 121TG. But the key thing, obviously, is the condition of the center wing.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4685[/ATTACH]

Oh I got you now. That is or was a firefighting museum, maybe closed.

The airplanes you asked about are PB-4Y2 old Navy Patrol bombers used to fight forest fires.

They were based on USAAC B-24's

Bob

between your question and Google Earth I spent the afternoon on GE and in the books, I actually found out that H&P had 9 C/KC-97's. One went to the Minn ANG Museum, One to the Berlin Airlift Museum and the last 7 are still there rotting away. Good way to spend the afternoon.

Thanks, Bob. Good call on the PB-4Y2s. There are a lot of fun places to search for old planes on Google Earth. I personally like to check out Edwards AFB and NASA Armstrong (formerly Dryden) periodically. They always have some one-of-a-kind airframes out in the sun. Like the F-16XL and F-15 ACTIVE at these coordinates [34.953865, -117.884046].