Bad case of CRS!

sthoover

My first post! I need some help guys. I went in the AF in May of 66. After basic and tech school at Chanute, I went to Dyess. I was a 42251 and crossed into 43151 so I could be with the aircraft on a more " personal basis". I was sent to CCK, Guam, Fairchild, and Midway but I cant remember 90% of it. My kids and grandkids have asked me about my service memories but I come up blank most of the time. My question is, could you guys recommend any books that would enlighten the kids as to what we did back then(1966-1972)?

I came to Dyess in December of 65. 1966 was basically an air crew training year. Big buildup for SEA support. The two squadrons (C-130) were the 346th and the 347th. We flew lots of training missions; which included both logistics (trips) and air drop (trying to support the landowner next to the Tye Truck stop by hitting his expensive used cars). Lots of low level navigation training runs around the area as well. In the summer to fall of 66 we started operation cross-switch rotations to first Evereaux France and then when Charlie kicked NATO out, we moved over to Mildenhall. There we flew all sorts of missions in support of USAFE and that included Berlin support and the infamous Turkey Trots. There were lots of specialized missions out of Dyess; which included support for the Domincan Republic conflict, trips to Fort Campbell to drop airborne trainees, test drops at the Yuma and Pope airdrop training grounds and I even got to go to Africa in support of Gemini IX under temporary assignment to NASA.

In 67 many crew member got overseas assignments to Mactan, Okinawa and CCK flying in support of SEA operations. At Dyess the Cross-switch rotations continued and there was that Detroit thing which involved flying troops from Ft. Campbell to Detroit and I'm sure more of the same training stuff.

After I got back to Dyess, I went on a Cross switch rotation to Mildenhall in early 68 and then rotated back to Dyess to be re-deployed to Clark for a 90 day rotation with the 346th. I remember being sprayed for Mad Cow Disease at Dyess, having our booze confiscated (Bermuda duty free), one night to unpack and re-pack and off to the Phillipines (again). Came back from that, made a couple flights here and there and then got an early out in 69. I'm sure others have lots of similar experiences along these lines.

In the summer to fall of 66 we started operation cross-switch rotations to first Evereaux France and then when Charlie kicked NATO out, we moved over to Mildenhall.

I've been out for quite some time, but I've never heard the phrase "cross-switch rotations." Was I living under a rock all those years?

Don R.

That's what we called the rotations at Dyess and seems it has a history. It is what was on my TDY orders when we went. For a second I thought I had CRS about that. See below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40th_Airlift_Squadron

Beginning deployments

In 1964, the 40th began Operation CROSS SWITCH Rotations to Europe. During these rotations, the entire Squadron deployed for two to four months each year from Ohio to Europe to augment the theater airlift forces. At first, the rotational base was located at Évreux-Fauville, France, but after the French left NATO in 1966, the rotation was split between RAF Mildenhall, England, and Rhein-Main Air Base, Germany. At the same time that the Squadron began its regular rotation to Europe, it also began a regular rotation of crews and planes to Panama. The rotation to Panama continued into the 1980s when the Air National Guard assumed responsibility for it.

In October 1965, a C-130 Replacement Training Unit was established at Lockbourne. The 40th devoted a portion of its training to the unit.

• 5 years later...

Plenty on the Internet about C-130 operations in Vietnam. It would be mostly TDY to Det 1 Ton Sun Nhut or rotations to CRB when it was operating C-130 out of there. Just put in search requests and include C-130 and year or battle. You will find plenty. Ton Sun Nhut Association also has a lot of info.  The "Wings" programs from the History Channel also has a lot of the episodes on U-Tube. A lot of it is on the web if you look for it. I remember everything and sometimes wish I could forget it.