Site Software Upgrade Info

casey

As I am sure you have noticed, we have made some changes to the site.  These updates will bring increased site functionality, improved social network connections, support for mobile rowswers and host of other enhancements.

As we proceed with the migration, we will update this post with additional information; please review it periodically.  Feel free to reply to this topic with any feedback and/or questions you may have.

Why the change was made

About a year and a half ago, a new version of the software suite that the old site used was released and the old version (ours) is no longer supported.  Without a supported version, we are no longer able to apply version upgrades/patches and therefore, it has become increasingly difficult to secure the site and to ensure compatibility with new browsers, programing languages, etc.

We would have been happy to up grade to the new version but unfortunately, the new version did not have all the features (a gallery and a content management system to name two key elements).  Despite promising to release updates and add additional features, they have made little progress in developing a product that meets our needs.    After a year and a half of waiting, we had no choice but to move forward with a new software suite.  It is what's best for the long term viability of the site.

What can I do if I am having trouble loading/browsing the site?

New features

• Drag and drop image posting
  • Mobile browser compatibility
  • Facebook, LinkedIn and Microsoft login
  • Social media share buttons for post, articles and other pages
  • Chat function for real time communication
  • Support ticket function
  • Ability to add a profile page cove photos
  • More to follow...

Lost Features:

• Groups
  • A few user avatars

Items that have to be restored/repaired

• Forums - The biggest portion of the attached images will need to be reattached
  • Gallery - complete reload required, all images, including user images will be restored
  • C-130 News - Reload of all images will be required (Forum and Articles sections
  • C-130 Photos of the week
    • Forums -reload of all images will be required
    • Articles - complete reload required
  • File Archive - complete reload required
  • C-130 Database - All data intact, site page wrapper integration required
  • Probably a few more that I can't think of right now...

What you can do to help

• If there are missing attachments in your posts and if you still have the original attachment, please edit the post and reattach the images.   This has the potential to decrease my work load drastically.
  • Most importantly, have faith.  This community is extremely important to me and I will always do what's best for it. Just as we did following the upgrade a few years back, we will be glad that we made the change.

While we migrate to the new site

• If there is a specific attachment, image or other item that you need restored and we haven't gotten to it yet, let me know and I will make it a priority.

Thank you for your patience and welcome to the new C-130Hercules.net!

--Casey

Casey, I'm not sure if I like this new format.  Like a lot of other members here, I'm an old fart and was very comfortable wandering around the old format.  I'll probably get used to it over time.  It's still the best aviation site on the Internet.

Maybe I'm missing it, but one of my favorite things to do just before logging out was to check any new member's profile, if there was one.  Also, no more signature?

Don R.

1. I sure as hell don't like it. What was wrong with the old one???
  2. I have two computers 1 with XP and 1 with windows 7 Pro, 
  3. I can not get the page to upload on the Windows XP @‌ all,
  4. and super slow on Windows 7 Pro.

Please go back.

"Dutch"

1. I sure as hell don't like it. What was wrong with the old one???
  2. I have two computers 1 with XP and 1 with windows 7 Pro, 
  3. I can not get the page to upload on the Windows XP @‌ all,
  4. and super slow on Windows 7 Pro.

Please go back.

"Dutch"

​Dutch,

Sorry to hear that the changes aren't agreeing with you.  Hopefully you will change your opinion once we get everything restored and you get more familiar with it.

I have updated my original post in this thread with an explanation of why we are making the change and a link with instructions on clearing your browser cache which may help with your browser issues.

--Casey

​Dutch,

Sorry to hear that the changes aren't agreeing with you.  Hopefully you will change your opinion once we get everything restored and you get more familiar with it.

I have updated my original post in this thread with an explanation of why we are making the change and a link with instructions on clearing your browser cache which may help with your browser issues.

--Casey

​Casey, it seams to be working now. Thanks.

Dutch

Casey, I'm not sure if I like this new format.  Like a lot of other members here, I'm an old fart and was very comfortable wandering around the old format.  I'll probably get used to it over time.  It's still the best aviation site on the Internet.

Maybe I'm missing it, but one of my favorite things to do just before logging out was to check any new member's profile, if there was one.  Also, no more signature?

Don R.

​Don,

Hopefully it will grow on ya' and thank you for the kind words.

I have added a member statistics block that shows total members, most members online, and the newest member to the bottom of the forums page.

To add a signature, click on the arrow by your avatar and name on the top right corner of the page and select settings.  Signatures and several other goodies are located there.

--Casey

Edited by Casey

As I am sure you have noticed, we have made some changes to the site.  These updates will bring increased site functionality, improved social network connections, support for mobile rowswers and host of other enhancements.

As we proceed with the migration, we will update this post with additional information; please review it periodically.  Feel free to reply to this topic with any feedback and/or questions you may have.

Why the change was made

About a year and a half ago, a new version of the software suite that the old site used was released and the old version (ours) is no longer supported.  Without a supported version, we are no longer able to apply version upgrades/patches and therefore, it has become increasingly difficult to secure the site and to ensure compatibility with new browsers, programing languages, etc.

We would have been happy to up grade to the new version but unfortunately, the new version did not have all the features (a gallery and a content management system to name two key elements).  Despite promising to release updates and add additional features, they have made little progress in developing a product that meets our needs.    After a year and a half of waiting, we had no choice but to move forward with a new software suite.  It is what's best for the long term viability of the site.

What can I do if I am having trouble loading/browsing the site?

New features

• Drag and drop image posting
  • Mobile browser compatibility
  • Facebook, LinkedIn and Microsoft login
  • Social media share buttons for post, articles and other pages
  • Chat function for real time communication
  • Support ticket function
  • Ability to add a profile page cove photos
  • More to follow...

Lost Features:

• Groups
  • A few user avatars

Items that have to be restored/repaired

• Forums - The biggest portion of the attached images will need to be reattached
  • Gallery - complete reload required, all images, including user images will be restored
  • C-130 News - Reload of all images will be required (Forum and Articles sections
  • C-130 Photos of the week
    • Forums -reload of all images will be required
    • Articles - complete reload required
  • File Archive - complete reload required
  • C-130 Database - All data intact, site page wrapper integration required
  • Probably a few more that I can't think of right now...

What you can do to help

• If there are missing attachments in your posts and if you still have the original attachment, please edit the post and reattach the images.   This has the potential to decrease my work load drastically.
  • Most importantly, have faith.  This community is extremely important to me and I will always do what's best for it. Just as we did following the upgrade a few years back, we will be glad that we made the change.

While we migrate to the new site

• If there is a specific attachment, image or other item that you need restored and we haven't gotten to it yet, let me know and I will make it a priority.

Thank you for your patience and welcome to the new C-130Hercules.net!

--Casey

​Thank you, Casey for all your hard work in upgrading the old site software to new software. In the new software the clutter is missing, making it much easier to read and follow for us old folks. The web page now fits my monitor screen. Navigating the web site is very easy compared to the old site. Great Job.

Casey,  At first I thought "what the crap"!  Then after working my way through the new format, I have found it just as easy to use as the old one!  Although I am one of those "old codgers", I think I can make it work!!  Then of course after I read the reasons for the change, it was easier  yet!!!

Also, thank you for all the work you are doing to keep this going!!!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I'm having some serious issues here.  Tried to upgrade, lost some content and broke some parts of the site.  Too frustrated to go into details.  Please hang in there with me.  I'll get it straightened out.

Good news, it looks like I have pulled the site out of its tail spin! 

I have a ton of news to add and I will continue to restore the Gallery.  I will update the "Items that have to be restored/repaired" portion of the first post in this thread as I progress.

Please let me know if you discover any broken functions.

--Casey

Edited by Casey

I have caught up on the recent news, reloaded some content in the Reference and Info section, reloaded the Production Number Gallery through 4099, and have adjusted multiple settings.

Everything seems to running we pretty good on my end.  How is it on your all's end?

I guess you could say the images are loaded backwards.  I load them in order but the default sort order is to list the most recently updated image first which makes the last image added the first in the album.   Just to the right of the pagination controls, you can select the sort order and sort the album by name which will list the lower c/n's first.

--Casey

Quick update...

• The Production Number Gallery has been restored through 4799.
  • The Database is now accessible and the search functions seem to be working okay.  There are some links to the old site that are broken and additional work needs to be on the layout.