Ghost Rider Getting Painted

Spectre623

Well today we started to paint Ghost Rider in the colors she wore toward the end of her tour in Viet Nam, solid black with red FT and serial number on the vert fin. We are lucky to have a pic of her in these colors while in VN. All other numbers etc. will be in red We at the Marietta Museum of Aviation pressure washed the old gray chalking paint off for these past several weeks and sanded her quite a bit. We had 2 sprayers going and covered a great deal in only 4 hours today. We had a great team working on the old Herk and it shows. Included are a few pics. Will keep the site updated as we gett'er done and put all the lipstick on. Bill

Painting AC-130 and kids 010.JPG

Painting AC-130 and kids 012.JPG

Painting AC-130 and kids 008 (640x480).jpg

Painting AC-130 and kids 007 (640x480).jpg

Painting AC-130 and kids 009.JPG

Painting AC-130 and kids 005 (640x480).jpg

Painting AC-130 and (640x480).jpg

Painting AC-130 and kids 011 (640x480).jpg

Edited by Spectre623

Today,Saturday, we finished up painting Ghost Rider in her all black Viet Nam era paint job. Had great help from the museum crew with the addition of one "New Guy". The lipstick, i.e. the trim is next and this old vet will look great. A couple more pics. from today. Bill

100_2439.JPG

100_2436.JPG

100_2435.JPG

Glad you like'em Sonny. This old warhorse deserves to be kept out of the scrap heap. It is great to work on her like this. I waited 20 years to do what we are doing at the museum lately. This is what we were going to do when we were planning to put it at the front gate at Dobbins ARB next to our B-29 when she flew in to Dobbins in Sep. 1995. 911 changed all that. Now it is outside the back gate in the museum which is a much better deal. Here is a scan of her last flight order bringing her to Dobbins. Call sign...Spectre23.  Bill:D

GhostRider flt. orders (745x1024).jpg

Edited by Spectre623

It is water based dry fall paint. (not dry wall paint, ha ha) We did a few test with some samples some time ago and it looks to be very durable. Clean up is a snap since it is water based. Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Monday we painted the props and some touch up. Hopefully this is the last time we have to drag out the sprayer for anything big. Decided this morn to go with black on the props with yellow tips as seen in photos from Nam. Trying to stay true to the layout and colors while she was in Nam towards the end of the war. If ANYBODY has any photos or was connected to this aircraft during the Viet Nam war please get in touch with me with a PM. Thanks . Bill

More paint 001.JPG

More paint 006.JPG

More paint 004.JPG

More paint 008.JPG

Edited by Spectre623

Well Sonny anybody who actually worked on A models when they had 3 bladed props (me) know that #1 blade is set at 3 o'clock to check the prop fluid. But the 3 bladed props are larger in diameter than the 4 bladed props so that is the problem. Already had people bang their heads on the props when a blade is pointing straight down and they aren't paying attention. So, for safety's sake we will put a blade straight up. I like them set like they just shut down myself but that won't happen. Bill:huh: 

Edited by Spectre623

Thanks JC2. We all at the museum are having a great time with the old Herk. Pretty special that we have the name sake of the next 37 AC-130 gun ships i.e., Ghost Rider series, setting 1/2 mile from the Herk factory where they will be built. Bet their theme song will be "Ghost Riders in the sky" by Jonny Cash when they gettem, ha ha. It was in Nam!!! Bill:lol:

Edited by Spectre623