Last Flying Lockheed L100's / Civil Hercs

Diogo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 5:42 AM, DC10FE said:

From what I've been told, Lynden bought all of Safair's Hercs, but kept the Safair name and infrastructure with the exception of ZS-JIZ.  It had to do with some South African political problems.

Don R.

That's more or less correct Don,  but I think that it should be clarified that Lynden did not acquire Safair, or it's operation or operating certificate.  Lynden purchased the airframes, and is dry-leasing them back to Safair. Safair is still a completely separate airline and as far as I know is still owned by a ASL in Dublin.   

" ... with the exception of ZS-JIZ.  .."

That and EI-JIV, s/n 4673, formerly ZS-JIV .  That airframe has been registered as N410LC and is in the process of being added to Lynden Air Cargo's operating certificate.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:14 AM, Spanner said:

N402LC is now registered as P2-LAD.

And it is being wet-leased to PNG Air and operated in Papua New Guinea under their Operating Certificate  It is still being operated and maintained by Lynden flight crews and Mx personnel

18 hours ago, A Squared said:

That's more or less correct Don,  but I think that it should be clarified that Lynden did not acquire Safair,

Thanks for the clarification, AA.  I was under the assumption that Lynden bought them out.  

Can I assume you're a pilot for Lynden?  Have you flown P4-LAE?  I was an FE on it back in 1999 when we showed up in Luanda with it in Angola Air Charter colors.  It had only 60 hours on the airframe!  It was registered in Curacao with Frameair as PJ-TAC.  It was a real sweetheart of an airplane.

Don R.  

5225 -- PJ-TAC -- Frameair.jpg

A friend pointed out to me that the date we showed up in Luanda was not 1999, but it was 1991.  Sorry.

Don R.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:28 AM, DC10FE said:

I was an FE on it back in 1999 when we showed up in Luanda with it in Angola Air Charter colors. 

Don R.  

On 3/9/2020 at 7:28 AM, DC10FE said:

Thanks for the clarification, AA.  I was under the assumption that Lynden bought them out.  

Can I assume you're a pilot for Lynden?  Have you flown P4-LAE?  I was an FE on it back in 1999 when we showed up in Luanda with it in Angola Air Charter colors.  It had only 60 hours on the airframe!  It was registered in Curacao with Frameair as PJ-TAC.  It was a real sweetheart of an airplane.

Don R. 

Yeah, I've flown P4-LAE.  Nice plane.  I think it was the lowest time plane I've flown, at least the lowest time large aircraft anyway. 

When we got it, there was evidence of shrapnel in the cargo compartment ... from the inside.  Know anything about that? 

I was back with Transafrik, but the shrapnel may have been from when the Angolan AF requisitioned that airplane and crews for their civil war -- registered as T-312.  It was on the ramp at Catumbela AB when a soldier accidentally detonated a grenade in the cargo compartment.  It was ferried back to Luanda where it sat for a very long time and then ferried to Sogerma for repairs in Bordeaux where it sat again for a very long time.  I think when you guys got it, it only had about 6,000 hours on it.  

The Lockheed tech rep that came with the airplane said it was originally ordered by the Yugoslavian military, but the order was canceled. 

(Say hi to Chris Lockhart when you see him.  We were at Transafrik together for a few years.)

Don R.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...