Reservists and Agent Orange exposure on C 130

christmaspeter

Hi,

I am a 2 enlistment reservist out of Niagara and served as a mechanic and loadmaster on C 130 A's and E's.

I am disabled and cannot work, receiving SSD.

I have gone to the VA to request assistance several time but only to be turned away. They treat me like my service didn't count for anything...I met today with a VVA service rep who was helpful but doubtful if I would receive any help.

My diabetes came on me in the time between my enlistment and was not discovered by USAF at any physical.  I was set to go to Flt engineer school but was denied as I was 2 pounds over weight. I requested a medical examination but was denied.

My diabetes is very sever with little or no feelings in lower legs and feet and I was blind for 1/2 yer due this disease. My vision is slowly returning.

My contention has always been that I contracted this disease from residual AO that was spilled during transport on these aircraft. Both the A's and E's at Niagara saw service in Viet Nam before coming to the unit..  I was not a 2day a month wonder but was a reserve bum that worked the reserve as a regular job ...hoping to secure an ART position. The problem is that they didnt cut orders but put me on man days which shuts me out from any assistance.

I am looking to hear from anyone so situated or has any info that may help me. I am so tired of being marginalized by the AF and now the VA.

Thanks guys1

• 2 weeks later...

I spent 15 months as a C-130 Loadmaster in Vietnam. Never hauled any AO. Most of the sprayers were C-123s. They flew out of the larger bases. I don't know that we would have hauled any drums of AO. Even in combat were were pretty strict on bumping any containers that leaked or appeared to not be sealed properly. I think the chance of AO residue in one of our C-130s is very low. Good luck. Maybe some one else can chime in that might help you out. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I am a 2 enlistment reservist out of Niagara and served as a mechanic and loadmaster on C 130 A's and E's.

I am disabled and cannot work, receiving SSD.

I have gone to the VA to request assistance several time but only to be turned away. They treat me like my service didn't count for anything...I met today with a VVA service rep who was helpful but doubtful if I would receive any help.

My diabetes came on me in the time between my enlistment and was not discovered by USAF at any physical.  I was set to go to Flt engineer school but was denied as I was 2 pounds over weight. I requested a medical examination but was denied.

My diabetes is very sever with little or no feelings in lower legs and feet and I was blind for 1/2 yer due this disease. My vision is slowly returning.

My contention has always been that I contracted this disease from residual AO that was spilled during transport on these aircraft. Both the A's and E's at Niagara saw service in Viet Nam before coming to the unit..  I was not a 2day a month wonder but was a reserve bum that worked the reserve as a regular job ...hoping to secure an ART position. The problem is that they didnt cut orders but put me on man days which shuts me out from any assistance.

I am looking to hear from anyone so situated or has any info that may help me. I am so tired of being marginalized by the AF and now the VA.

Thanks guys1

You're SOL on this. The VA recently acknowledged that reservists who flew and maintained C-123s that had been used as UC-123s are eligible for benefits. As far as C-130s go, I doubt if anyone ever hauled much of it. Some people got the idea that the red drums used for POL was for Agent Orange. In fact, no one even knew anything about herbicides until toward the end of the war when the Vietnam Veterans Against the War, now the VVA, started complaining about it. As far as II diabetes goes, the VA assumes "presumptive exposure" to herbicides in SNV and acknowledge a "connection" to II diabetes. However, there are a lot of other factors. I have it but so did my dad and grandmother although no one else in my family does. I am also part Indian (but not through that grandmother) and I grew up on a farm in West Tennessee where we had our cotton fields defoliated, both of which can be factors for Type II. In Vietnam, we hauled a lot of liquid but 90% of it was POL.