POWER RECUPERATION ON COMPRESSOR

herky400M

Can anyone explain to me the compressor power recuperation.

As far as I know is the they put stage 1 blades or other blades futher back into the compressor...

if the blades are reused  how fast are they deteriorating? how hihg is the risk whenif they brake and create FOD in the compressor....

if this is the case, than for how long does this compressor can go on, I expect less than an new one.

when the blades are worn more quickly, the dimension of the inner compressor will become larger, so compressor discharge will be lesser...

a lot of questions

PJ maybe you have a quick response to this

best regards bob

You are referring to a process commonly called "blade cascading".  This process is used for ground power engines ONLY and has never been approved for "flight" engines.  The process relies on certain stages of the T56 series compressor blades that have the same dimensions other than length of the blade as measured from the root to tip.  Blades that have the same dimensional "fit" other than or length can be cut "down" or shortened so they may be moved back and used in other higher stages of compression in the compressor.  Again, "cascading" is not approved for flight engines.

I believe it is in the 501K industrial engine overhaul manual allowing cascading and which stages can be cascaded.  As for the flight engines, nothing says you can't, BUT, nothing says you can either.  This is where if the procedure is not in the manual providing instructions on how to do, it is not an approved procedure and therefore would not be allowed.  I therefore must emphatically say, it is not an approved procedure or process for flight engines.

And thus the reason why I stated the "cascading" of blades is not approved for flight engines.  The 501K is the "industrial" engine version of the T56/501 engine family.  If a compressor eats a blade on an industrial engine, the resulting failure doesn't affect an aircraft, only the ground or shipboard equipment it is powering.  My quote: "This is where if the procedure is not in the manual providing instructions on how to do, it is not an approved procedure and therefore would not be allowed.  I therefore must emphatically say, it is not an approved procedure or process for flight engines."

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,
Sounds to me like a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Is your contractor applying pressure to accomplish compressor blade cascading on your Herk. T56 engines?

If so, your his customer, so insist he provide you the written FAA/EASA guidance that permits the compressor maintenance it seems your contractor is advocating.

I agree wholeheartedly with Fritz.  Further, am surprised your contractor who is evidently a certified FAA/EASA company would, in good conscience, recommend a procedure meant only for engines operating in a nonflying environment.  

Do you have access to a Rolls Royce rep?  

Edited by larry myers

• 1 month later...

Larry, sorry it took awhile.

No I don't have acces to a Rolls Royce rep. A few of my NCO's went to Indiana to follow o-level course T56. And they stated that blade cascading was no problem for the first 3 stages of the compressor.

how can I get acces to the Rolls Royce rep?

BEST REGARDS, Bob