need suggestions

vicky

hye !

i am an Aeronautical engineer and i have started working as Maintenance Engineer on C130 B nd E A/C . i need suggestions in respect of things like how should i try to increase my technical knowledge about the aircraft . though i have started studying T.O , s but i need suggestions that how should i narrow it down to sub sytem like Hydraulic , Fuel , airframe etc.

For the first few days of ground school pilots at Little Rock AFB were issued a cd-rom (I'm dating myself, circa 1998) with 15 minute lesson blocks on each aircraft system. The program was interactive (ex. click on a hydraulic valve and it opened, etc.).  For the visual learners, like most of us, it was an excellent complement to the technical manual.  Talk to newly trained C-130 pilots to see if they can get you access to whatever the current version of this computer-based training.

I almost forgot, this is a website that has been around since the '90's: http://www.baseops.net/c130pilotgouge.html  I would print all of the systems "gouge" and put it in a binder.  Again, this only serves to complement the Technical Manuals, but it will be a great help to you getting started.  The electrical system diagrams and memory aids were especially useful when I started out.

I noticed that there is a note at the top reminding new pilots that there is a "pre-test" upon arrival to C-130 training.  There must be a study program that they are expected to complete prior to arrival.  Talk to your leadership, I'm sure they can coordinate for you to get access to the same study materials.  Or, just buddy-up with a new pilot or flight engineer, I'm sure they'll be happy to loan their copy to you after completing the course.

Definitely take "pjvr99's" advice.  Observe: engine changes, propeller changes, throttle rigging, TD Amp change/test, tire/brake change, get a headset and sit in on every engine run available and follow along on the checklist. Have an instructor loadmaster give you a "tour" of the back-end of the aircraft (that alone could take an entire morning).  Go to the ISO/Phase hangar for an entire week and shadow all of the checks, tests, and time change items they complete.  Use your Iphone to take pictures and notes of everything you observe (security policy permitting).  If you have to work 2nd or 3rd shifts to see everything, then so be it. It will not go unrecognized that you're making the effort (not to mention the advantage of meeting all personnel as quickly as possible).

Sorry to sound chauvinistic, I think you'll find maintenance and aircrew alike to be very welcoming to a female aeronautical engineer who's genuinely interested in their work.  Remember to always ask them how you can make their job easier, safer, etc. to include newer or better designed support equipment.  I presume that's your job, so always be looking out for opportunities to make their life better.

• 3 weeks later...

Lockheed service news is a great source for technical things relating to a/b/e/h c-130

Google: lockheed service news archive

Also get ahold of the lockheed training center at little rock or a local field training detachment.  They have massive amounts of training material

like PJ stated.... go out and explore, read the aircraft form and try to look for a solution for yourself, than compare it with the solution written

and don't forget to ask the old dogs for advice:P

C-130 is not a Pandora's box but sometimes it is black magic :D

for any question we are here to help!;)

HERKY400M