Ramp Lock Issue

s3onewire

Needing some assistance with a bird downrange. When operating the ramp with the aux pump, the ramp closes, and about 1/2 of the locks fully engage, the other locks only engage about 1/2 way. If we use the hand pump with the knob in the #4 position, and pump to approx 1000 psi, the locks will fully engage. The bellcrank has full travel and the actuator mount brackets are not cracked or damaged. We believe that the lock actuator is bad, but we do not have any on hand. Wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this issue before??? Much thanks

Check the ramp lock restrictor (it is forward of the ramp lock actuator) (looks like a red check valve).  If this is clogged or damaged, it will block return pressure of actuator enough to prevent it from locking.  Take it off the hydro lines and inspect it.  If this is determined to be good, check the locking pressure of the ramp actuator by installing a pressure gauge and using aux pump as source.   If pressure is lower than it should be, manifold needs to be looked at.  This is not a cure all here but at least it will get you started, hard to troubleshoot over text (don't get the full experience of the issue)

What base you at?  I might know some of the guys there

I'm gonna add something that you can do to check this.  Just have a knowledgable hydro guy do this......

Close the ramp and handpump at position # 5.  Have someone feeling/listening to the actuator.  Continue to build pressure to see if you can feel/hear a bypass.   Can do the same thing to manifold, hand pump to a good psi and feel/listen to manifold.  You might be able to hear it bypassing (if it is)

You can check the other side by lowering the ramp to ads with arms connected and pumping at position #2, build good pressure and feel/listen for bypass.

What model are you on? H1/2/3,J?

Edited by hehe

Also, we always seem to jump the gun to hydro issues but go into the ramp rigging procedures (job guide) and follow the steps that are checking for locking pressure.  Search for "800 psi" and you will find it.  Do those couple steps and you might just have a rigging issue.  Ramp should lock (in a perfectly rigged ramp) at 500-800 PSI.  I went back and read your original post and saw that you said 1000 PSI which is within limits of ramp operation but when having issues its always good to check your rigging.  Also I'm assuming you meant in position number 5?

Edited by hehe

• 6 years later...