C-130E virtual tour

Robert Podboy

Yep, like going back in time...  I remember where all the "stuff" goes.  One question: on the cargo door, the space behind the ground loading ramps - was that where the truck loading ramps were stored, or the ladders for the troop doors??

Jim

A bit about the aircraft:

Storied C-130E Goes to USAF Museum

Author Stephen Mauro  1/19/2012

Caldwell was on approach to the drop zone at An Loc when groundfire smashed into Spare 617‘s fuselage, instantly killing the flight engineer.

The C-130E SPARE 617 touches down at the National Museum of the US Air Force, capping off a storied career.

Caldwell was on approach to the drop zone at An Loc when groundfire smashed into Spare 617‘s fuselage, instantly killing the flight engineer.

Last August Spare 617, a C-130E boasting an impressive career, entered the collection of the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton, Ohio. The well-worn Hercules, No. 62-1787, had come a long way since April 1972, when the intelligence officer at Tan Son Nhut Air Base briefed its pilot, Captain William Caldwell, and his crew on their mission to the besieged city of An Loc, South Vietnam. Caldwell, who was told, “You’re going to have 37mm anti-aircraft fire coming at you,” remembers asking, “How high does that go?” The reply was succinct: “Above you.”

Caldwell has never forgotten that harrowing airdrop. He was on approach to the drop zone when groundfire smashed into Spare 617’s fuselage and cockpit, instantly killing flight engineer Tech. Sgt. Jon Sanders and wounding several others. The fusillade ruptured an air bleed duct, causing superheated air to spew into the cargo hold, and setting ammo pallets ablaze. Loadmaster Tech. Sgt. Charlie Shaub called for Caldwell or his copilot to electronically jettison the load. When that failed, Shaub braved the scalding air to cut loose the pallets—two of which exploded just after leaving the airplane. Shaub then grabbed a red-hot fire extinguisher and doused a fire in the left wheel well. Caldwell and Shaub later received the Air Force Cross.

Spare 617 was repaired and returned to service, later flying with various Air National Guard squadrons. Colonel Caldwell, who was on hand for the August 18 ceremony honoring No. 62-1787’s installation in the museum, had his own take on the meaning of the festivities: “We had a crew and I included in that crew the airplane, so I saw it more as a retirement ceremony for the plane.” Currently on display on a runway, Spare 617 joins two AC-130 gunships already in the NMUSAF collection. It will eventually be housed in the Global Reach Gallery in a new building, slated for completion in 2014.

Edited by Robert Podboy

Robert Podboy,

I have been back to the 360 Images site several times since you posted it. I get lost in thought/memories going through that E model. I was the ACC on an E model (63-7872) while at McGuire before going to Okinawa and becoming the Crew Chief of two different A models (56-0489 & 56-0533).

Thanks again and again.

Sonny

Hey oldcatmechanic2, funny you should say that cause I was an "A" model maintainer and there was something about "B's" I always liked...such as an aux pump and ground test valve and NO danged 450 gal external fuel tanks that were forever giving trouble and a galley with hot coffee containers and oven and best of all a flight deck BUNK! This was my first Herk assignment (1963) and I later got to serve on the Herks with all the other letters the C-130 had next to it...and LOVED every one of them!! Bill:)

Off topic here but a question for the guys that held down the left or right front seats.Of all the basic models(A,B,E,H,J)which was the best flyer as far as handling is concerned?My only experience is on A's but I've heard the B's were the sweetest flyers.

Back on topic,the wife   bought me a "T" shirt with a photo of the pilot's,engine instrument and co pilot's panel from an A model on it.

I worked on the B's when Charlotte Air guard had them and I was full time there for 20+ years.  Retired prior to them getting the H

model.  Loved the sound of the A's with no LSGI when they were taxing.  At least that what I was told as to why they sounded different.

And I heard from several of the flying types that the B was the hot rod of the C130's

Edited by olcatmech2

I flew B, E, K 's. I liked the B best. Flight controls were absolutely the best.

K's had the best power. K and E had good flight instruments, but overall I think the B flew the best.

Bob

Thats just what I was told way back when.I always thought it was because of no pylon tanks hanging off the wing.If either the tank or pylon isn't dead parallel with the A/C center line,gotta crank in more trim.My thoughts anyway,could be all wrong. 

Most "A"s flew quite well,some fairly well but there was one that,while very reliable,(had an excellent crew chief) needed both rudder and aileron trim .Division test pilot ,after 2 FCFs, and taking a hard look at the whole A/C,shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know,maybe the wing's bent"! 

I worked on the B's when Charlotte Air guard had them and I was full time there for 20+ years.  Retired prior to them getting the H

model.  Loved the sound of the A's with no LSGI when they were taxing.  At least that what I was told as to why they sounded different.

And I heard from several of the flying types that the B was the hot rod of the C130's

If the "A"s you worked on still had the 3 blade props,they had a quite different sound than the 4 bladers.  

Sonny ,I'll have to get back to you as to where the "T" shirt came from.Standby!

The externals added weight and drag, but as I remember, only 30 years ago, the B's had full boost hydraulic pressure to the flight controls and the E's were deboosted, don't know if that is a word, but had lower pressure to the flight controls because of stress caused by the externals.

Bob

GVS,

Where did your wife find such a gem? I would love to have one of those T-shirts.

Sonny

Sonny,google zazzle.com and enter c130 t shirts in the search box.Many to choose from.There's even a grasshopper nose,APS 42 "A" model in there!