MHeflin

I've been meaning to do this for quite some time, but not managed to get around to it. I had the honor of leading the project to construct the site and relocate 0496 from Hemet Valley, CA to US Army Yuma Proving Ground, AZ, where she serves as an Air Transportability Test Bed.

C-130 ATTB.jpg

Casey;

Thanks for the compliment, but all the credit for how good it looks goes to the contractors we brought in; who were amazing. Concur completely with your comment. For those of us with both an emotional and historic attachment to the Mighty Herk, it is deeply painful to see them lined up at the AMARC waiting to be turned into beer cans. Or, parked alone, unattended and derelict at some desolete location, rotting into oblivion.

The catalyst for this project began with a TDY to Aberdeen Proving Ground. I was tasked to conduct the test loading of prototype vehicles being offered to the Army Test & Evaluation Command onboard an A-model hulk, located in the back 40 at Phillips AAF. I'd been assured that the hulk was fully operational prior to my departure and to be fair it sorta was.... once all the raccoons, birds and other various species of wildlife were convinced to vacate the premises and all of their "deposits" and treasures were cleaned out. However, the test was a great success and I made the recommendation in my trip report that YPG establish a similar test bed.

I have to say that when the bird showed up at our place on the back of that flat bed truck it looked a hot mess. However, much love, care and attention went into transforming her into something special. Granted 0496 is no longer hauling trash, flying locals, transporting eager young crew dogs from party to party all around the world, or going into harms way to successfully execute the mission; but she still serves proudly and continues to  perform a vital function for the nation. Which is exactly what Herks are meant to do.             

• 4 weeks later...

I know she was an 817th TAS bird out of Naha, Okinawa in 1968 and according to Lar's book was used to film the flying sequences in the movie "The Hunters" in 1958. Later went to Hawkins and Powers  then eventually to Aero Firefighting Service and finally sold to International Air Response.