YMC-130H 74-1686 headed for the scrapman?

KoenL

David Rühling posted the following on the C-130 crewchiefs Facebook page:

I have a "super-STOL" YMC-130H tail number 74-1686 (Credible Sport) in my possession here on base (Robins AFB, GA) but her fate my be to get cut into scrap next Friday if I can't find the justification to keep her. Being an aviation guru I am against destroying this piece of history and engineering marvel. If you know any museum or air park that is interested please send them my way ASAP.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184118368141/permalink/10154100095628142/

If anyone has any suggestions please let David know via Facebook, or if you don't have Facebook let me know and I'll get you into contact with him. Would be a shame to see it scrapped.

Koen

They have been asking for at least 10 years...the acft is pretty far gone and not airworthy.  The cost to move it anywhere is astronomical, hence the reason no one has taken it yet.  The museum didn't see any significance in the acft (based on a conversation I had with Ken Emory), hence the push to remove it from their inventory.  Yes it was modified for the very special Credible Sport project but it never flew a single mission, not even a test mission in this configuration so in their eyes, it was just another acft that had just been modified, nothing special.  AFSOC looked into it but too costly to relocate.  If too costly for them (and they are not that far from Robins) then too costly for anyone else to even consider taking on the effort.

I remember going on board this fantastic flying machine when I worked at Lockheed in 1984. It was still on the flight line then and mostly complete except for the rockets. The engineers overhead panel was an eye full as it had so many extra switches and stuff. It had dual flap indicators also as it had double articulated flaps. It had the hyd. valves on the inside left aft side of the wheel like the tankers but used the system to run the extra flap actuators. I worked with the old timer who did the flap rigging on these birds. He said they swore him to secrecy and he worked several months just on the flap system. There was a set of beams inside the cargo compartment that ran from front to back and a tail hook on the aft belly as I remember. It didn't have a bunk up front but an extra seat near the nav. seat with a computer keyboard and screen. Here are a couple of pix of the model Lockheed built that are in the Marietta Museum. Bill

C-130 models 001 (800x600).jpg

C-130 models 008 (800x600).jpg

C-130 models 007 (800x600).jpg