C-130J W&B

marius

I'm a student doing a paper design of an aircraft to be launched from a C-130J at 15,000 ft and am trying work out a weight and balance for the aircraft...but I'm not finding a terrible amount of information to do it with (e.g., basic weight/arm, crew arm, fuel arm, etc.).  Also, as I'm looking into it, I'm seeing some contradictory things, such as the load planning chart in the 2015 DTR III-V-17 (http://www.ustranscom.mil/dtr/part-iii/dtr_part_iii_app_v.pdf) shows a DD form 2130-2 for C-130 models E/H/J (the picture on the form says B/E/H, but the caption for the form notes E/H/J...I'm believing the caption for now) wherein the ramp starts around station 749, whereas the Lockheed specs on this website for the J model say load station 1022.  What's the difference?  Or is can the DTR reference only be applied to earlier models of the aircraft?  I'm just not sure.

Long and short of this is this: does anyone have some basic weight and balance info (i.e., basic weight/arm, crew arm, fuel arm) and some direction for what I can do with the stations this load planning form?  Any help is appreciated.

I could only guess that the FS 1022 included the door as well as the ramp. This chart was dated June 2015. There is not an additional 25 feet of cargo space in a "J"...Unless you can be advised otherwise I would stick to the C-130 Load Chart. I would establish MAC on the unloaded C-130. 

Add the fuel. Once you get the operating weight compute the %MAC to give you the balance station. Use that point to configure the balance point of the item you wish to launch. After the launch the C-130 would revert back to the unloaded aircraft weight minus the weight of the item launched and minus the fuel burn. This exercise is basically an airdrop from the out side of the C-130..

Gotcha, sounds good--my only issue, then, is that I'm not confident in the basic weight and fuel weight stations that I have.  What I have is as follows in the format of weight/station:

Basic weight: 87,000/730

Crew weight: 160/160

Fuel weight: 38000/750

I can believe the crew station, but, according to that DD form, the basic weight and fuel weights look like they are for a C-130J-30, not for the plain "J" model, since they located the aircraft's CG to around the start of the ramp--which is behind the wing.  If I can get these updated or confirmed...that'd be a huge help.

EDIT: I just confirmed that these values are for the stretched aircraft.  However, I need them for the short aircraft.  Any takers?

Lemac should be FS 487 based on an earlier discussion. MAC is 164 ". If you load to 20% of MAC the CG would be at FS 519..

Crew is most likely the same but not sure of fuel...It would be in the Mid point of MAC I would think...I just can't recall the fuel station...

Good luck

Marius,

What's the difference? "

The difference is the reference data line ( FS zero).  On the short C-130 the RDL is 30 inches forward of the nose whereas on the C-130-30 the RDL is 130" forward of the nose. So the extra 100", about 8.3 feet is your extra length. Just speculating and I could easily be wrong, maybe that was done so there would be no confusion in numbers when switching from the short to the 15' longer A/C. Some military's had both models, at least on the H models that I am aware of. FS 245 is FS 345 on the -30 but verbally we still referred to it as the 245.

Oh , FS 737 is not the end of the cargo floor or ramp hinge but is the aft end of what is considered the usable floor as there needs to be space for the farthest aft main cargo floor pallet locks or tie down rings(if bulk loading) before the ramp hinge.

Most commercial carriers use trim Stations which are either forward or aft of Trim Station 0. The forward numbers are minus figures and the aft numbers are pluses (+) which is easier to understand for the newly initiated. And for some more UFI as you are working in FS stations, Trim Station zero is 24.07 % MAC.

The written information on this is somewhere in a box in storage so I can't provide you with the documentation at present.

Hope this is helpful.

Bill

BRIang,

The centroid of compartment B (the flight station) for the standard C-130 is shown as 169. For the C-130H-30 the centroid is 269. Also on the -30 a table shows an arm of 240 for the pilots, F/E@ 272, Nav@ 292, bunk@ 328 and the L/M in C compartment at FS 366.

Bill