37th TAS 1972/73

moosemodeler

The first patch that I got when I checked in to the 37th was exactly like that except it had 37th TCS on it. About 6 months later we all had to take them off and put on the patch you have above.

BTW the 316 TAW Langley Reunion 17 to 21 OCT at Wright Patt at the AF Museum. The AF Museum has just opened a new building, its 4th, and we will be dedicating a memorial bench to the 316th in the Air Force Garden of Remembrance.

It would be great to have a large group there.

Tim Egan is the point of contact at tjegan(at)aol.com.   at=@ 

Bob

Larry & Bob,

Thank you both for the reply's and info !! :) It helps a lot ..    I am working on building a collection of the TAC C-130 that deployed or sent crews to SEA in 1972-73.  Especially interested in early 73 and airlifts into Cambodia and the FOL at U-Tapao..     

I already have era correct examples from the 37th, 38th, 61st, 772nd, 773rd.   Hoping to find a nice older 40th TAS,  I am pretty sure the sent awads crews to CCK/U-T to support the Easter Bunny force.   Not sure about the other 2 Pope squadrons, the 39th and 41st ..

Robert

When we, the 37th, went back to CCK in late October early November 1972, we flew over on C-141's and we replaced the 36th TAS and used their airplanes and brought them back to the US in April 1973. I know the 36th and 37th from Langley were there. I don't think the 38th was.

I remember on the flight over Col Billy Norwood was on the flight with us. He was going over to check on his AWADS crews from Pope.

There also was a Dyess squadron with us at CCK.

Bob

I remember Col Norwood from Langley when he was the vice commander. I was the M.O. on  a training deployment to nellis and Fallon NAS and I had just been promoted to Capt. I offered some unsolicited advice and he gave what turned out to be the best butt chewing I ever got in 30 years-- that reaming lasted a long time---needless to say, I never again did the unsolicited advice routine.

Bob,

A few other questions ...

I am sure this is, but is always nice to get confirmation from someone who was there.     Correct 36th TAS for 72/73 as well ?

Also other then the Vietnam/Cambodia airlift, did the deployed crews also fly the wings other missions ? The Klong Hopper, SEA Shuttle ( I think that is what it was call ) in the region. ( Okinawa, Guam, Korea, Taiwan ect ) ..

Robert

36%20tas001.jpg

36TAS was there from May/Jun 72 until we, 37TAS, relieved them Oct/Nov72 to April 73.

We flew all the normal wing missions in addition to the in country trips. Our in country trips were flown out of NKP and U-tapao.

My crew also flew Klong shuttles, trips to Diego Garcia and Mauritius and the Bob Hope Christmas show in 1972.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:17 AM, moosemodeler said:

Bob,

A few other questions ...

I am sure this is, but is always nice to get confirmation from someone who was there.     Correct 36th TAS for 72/73 as well ?

Also other then the Vietnam/Cambodia airlift, did the deployed crews also fly the wings other missions ? The Klong Hopper, SEA Shuttle ( I think that is what it was call ) in the region. ( Okinawa, Guam, Korea, Taiwan ect ) ..

Robert

36%20tas001.jpg

Wore this one also at Langley for a couple of years (66 on).

• 3 weeks later...

the aircraft i flew at CCK with the 37TAS in 72-73 were

62-1806, 1811,1821, 1823,1828,1830, 1834, 1848 1849, 1850, 1852,

63-7783, 7784, 7786, 7787, 7794, 7795, 7796,  7825, 7882, 7887, 7888, 7890

64-0503, 0520, 0557

These are from my form 5, we flew our airplanes and some from the 36 TAS, the 38TAS, and the 374TAW.

Bob

• 2 years later...
On 1/29/2017 at 5:17 AM, bobdaley said:

When we, the 37th, went back to CCK in late October early November 1972, we flew over on C-141's and we replaced the 36th TAS and used their airplanes and brought them back to the US in April 1973. I know the 36th and 37th from Langley were there. I don't think the 38th was.

I remember on the flight over Col Billy Norwood was on the flight with us. He was going over to check on his AWADS crews from Pope.

There also was a Dyess squadron with us at CCK.

Bob

Bob, thanks for posting tail numbers. As we roamed the boneyard, I was wondering about our planes.

Neal

• 1 year later...