VA Compensation

nascarpop

I have been putting this off for a long time. I am one of those from Naha Okinawa who spent great amounts of time in CRB and it never showed on my DD214. I finally went to the local VA assistance office and the counselor help me put in a claim for disability and to get my DD214 changed to show my Viet Nam service time. I happen to have old travel vouchers and hospital records showing I went to sick call while in CRB. I don't even remember going to sick call while there. Why I kept these old travel vouchers I will never know.

The VA contacted me for some tests, with which I complied. They even paid mileage for my car. About three months later I get a letter from the VA stating I get disability for diabetes type 2 and tinnitus. I was given 30% disability. The counselor said this would take about three to six months. As for my DD214 being changed, he said that could take a couple of years as it was not high priority.

There is a process in place, just let your local VA office help you with this process. They know the in and outs. I hope this helps someone else to process their claim.

I am currently 71 1/2 years old, just for information.

Way to go old timer. It's okay, I turned 71 in Feb. I also have nothing showing on my DD 214 that I was in Viet Nam 29 months out of 33 while stationed at Naha and CCK. I do have 2 Air Medals for Blind Bat (40 missions) but that is also missing from my records - the awards and dates are there, but nothing in my records show why. I have always planned on getting my 214 corrected, but didn't have any service related health issues. I did get 10% tinnitus and that was on my medical records from Naha. I still don't have any military related health issues, but who knows----that could be any time!

Thanks for the post I realize I should probably get my butt in gear.

Ken

• 1 year later...

I just received a letter from Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center at Randolph AFB that my Vietnam service time has been added to my DD-214. I was TDY from Okinawa quite often and It never was reflected in my service records. I was awarded Vietnam Service Medal with two Bronze stars, Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm. They determined I had 5 months and 10 days in country. It only took two years to get the correction letter after I submitted paperwork through the local VA office. I am just more proof it can be accomplished.

Good deal, too bad it took so long! Did you file for a DD 215 correction of the 214? Or did you let somebody else do it? I think it is a form # 1095 .

I have never done that, but I have not yet needed to prove boots on the ground. I have been treated very well by the VA so haven't felt the need to get it straightened out.

Personally I think I have more than a year on the ground out of the 33 months I went in-country and my Blind Bat missions. 

Now you have gotten me thinking that I need to get off my butt and do something!  It would be a hell of a note if I came down with something that required proof that I don't have on my 214.

Thanks for the post, and I hope you are doing well.   By the way, you must have been some kind of hero getting two bronze stars and that Gallantry Cross!😎

Ken

PS I just noticed I said almost the same thing 2 years ago!   Now, I am embarrassed.  😊

Edited by Mt.crewchief
remembering

I went to the local VA with my copies of records. They did the filing for me. I just had to sign on the dotted line. I had requested my medical records from the records department and there was a visit to the hospital in CRB. I must have had a cold or something, I don't remember. Just go to your local VA office and they will help you. Make an appointment first!

I received a DD215 to attach to my DD214.

Good luck.

• 5 months later...

Just an update, I have had a couple of hearing tests and was found to have a lot of high frequency hearing loss. I was approved for hearing aids and have gone for the ear fitting appointment. I will get them in about six weeks. I am having trouble distinguishing speech sounds from TV and people I am talking with. It all seems to run together sometimes. Just as a side note, the VA only wants the very best hearing aids. These are quite costly if I had to pay for them myself.

Hope this helps others!

Dallas